Duck cant walk

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by taighlyr1888, Mar 22, 2019.

1. taighlyr1888

taighlyr1888 In the Brooder

Jun 28, 2018
    I have a Pekin hen, only a year old, who has w swollen abdomen and is having trouble walking. She was injured last year by getting her butt stuck on a nail but she seemed fine. I dont know if she has laid yet this year because I also have her clutch sister and at least one of them is laying. I dont know what this could be or ehat to do. I will try posting a video here.

CayugaJana likes this.
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "Be Strong in the Lord"

She could be egg bound that can press on a nerve In Their backs and cause what your seeing. You could put her into some nice warm water let her float around then gently palpate her tummy area and see if you can feel an egg you can also lube up a finger and do an internal examine to feel for an egg. Soaking in warm water can help them relax enough to pass an egg

3. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Songster

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Is that Muscovy drake always that feisty? .Those drakes can do some damage.

4. taighlyr1888

Jun 28, 2018
    He is only that feisty because I think one of the younger ducks is also a drake. He has only been like that since the two moulards have feathered out. The drake is usually quite gentle with the hens.

5. taighlyr1888

Jun 28, 2018
    I will let her soak in some warm water then. See what happens. Thank you.

casportpony and DuckyDonna like this.
  6. Miss Lydia

Also try and get her to take some calcium it can be human or tums just crush in some water and see if she’ll drink it. The calcium will help her have contractions and help push the egg out.

CayugaJana and DuckyDonna like this.
  7. taighlyr1888

Jun 28, 2018
    Indeed. Again, I will give it a shot.
    When we came home she was moving around mostly fine. But when she noticed us watching she started doing this flopping thing again. My husband thinks she may be trying to get extra attention or food by faking an injury. While her back end is still looking full or heavy, it doesnt look as bad as earlier. I would post a picture but my phone is crud at night pictures.

CayugaJana, Miss Lydia and DuckyDonna like this.
  8. Miss Lydia

Nope they don’t have brains like us they can’t fake things like that. lol. Just keep an eye on her maybe keep her away from the drakes for a while.

9. taighlyr1888

Jun 28, 2018
    I dont know about that lol. My muscovy drale seems to know a few things I would have thought to complex for an animal. But perhaps its just because I bonded more with him.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  10. Miss Lydia

Well my Muscovy drake thinks he’s a dog he loves to come in the house in the mornings and have his quarter cup of dog food out of one of the dogs bowl. He also talks to me.

CayugaJana likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: