Duck can't walk

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tnducklady, May 15, 2019.

1. What to do

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Should I have him put down

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. tnducklady

tnducklady In the Brooder

Apr 6, 2015
    Please help! I have a male white Pekin named Elliot that can't walk or stand on his own it started out him just limping but then he could no longer get up at first he wasn't eating but now he eats like he's starving I have to bathe him everyday because he can't clean himself nobody seems to know what to do or had ever seen a duck do this

WannaBeHillBilly likes this.
  2. tnducklady

Apr 6, 2015
    I will try to upload a picture but my internet connection is not very good sometimes

WannaBeHillBilly likes this.
  3. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Well they are meat birds so it's very common unfortunately. Over feeding high protein feed can cause them to grow too fast then their legs give out.
    Actually certain breeders breed for meat and not longevity...

DucksOhio and WannaBeHillBilly like this.
  4. tnducklady

Apr 6, 2015
    I've always fed him and my other ducks laying pellets and all the vegetables they wanted I did have 7 ducks but something got 2 of my females so I got rid of the other to keep them from getting ate by coyotes at least that's what i think got those 2 will he ever get better?

5. chicklove14

chicklove14 In the Brooder

Apr 24, 2019
    You could soak his feet in Epsom salt and soothe the feet and check for broken bones or dislocated limbs

DucksOhio and Miss Lydia like this.
  6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Have you checked the bottom of his feet to rule out bumble foot? Layer doesn't have too much protein but it can cause other problems with drakes. Can you switch to an all flock and just keep oyster shell out for your layers. Or mix half and half layer and all flock? How do his legs look any swelling maybe get some pics for us?

DucksOhio, DuckyDonna and sourland like this.
  7. Knighstar679

Knighstar679 Crowing

Jun 12, 2018
    Seneca Falls, NY
    If he is on layer pellets he my be getting a toxic dose of calcium. Drakes don’t need nearly the amount of calcium in layer pellets and it can build up over time and causes lots of problems. I would make sure he is on a normal all flock or something else to start with.

DucksOhio, Miss Lydia and sourland like this.
  8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I would look into Niacin supplementation just on the possibility that he is suffering a deficiency. It is more common in growing ducklings, but can affect adults upon occasion.

9. tnducklady

Apr 6, 2015
    He has caluses in the bottom of his feet as my ducks always free ranged except at nite his legs don't look swollen but that could still be a possibility he's got some places on his beak that haven't healed but I don't know if he did that when I had him in a cage and he got his beak stuck or not he seems to get better when I put him in a warm bath meaning he tries to swim n move his feet n legs and he can stand as long as I put my hand under him to support his weight sometimes he seems better but when he tries to stand and he uses his wings to push with it breaks my heart to see him struggle someone else suggested he may have botulism or limber neck I believe I'm spelling them fight but his neck is fine but I will get pics in the morning and post them

10. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

I'd try changing the feed to a Grower finisher feed suitable for Ducks, Geese, Chickens and Turkeys.
    You can try vitamins..I don't know if he will get better though..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: