Duck Chicken and Dogs go together?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Obyli, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Obyli

Obyli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    California Torrance
    I have a poodle and a golden retriever, i know GR is the nicest dog in the world, but he ate 2 ducks and 1 chicken already. The duck and chicken were eatten when they are 2 weeks old. The poodle is nice to the ducks and chickens, she thinks that she is the mother of the ducks and chickens. I am worry about the GR dog, is there a way to get him to be nice to the birds?

2. ZoeS95423

ZoeS95423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    I wouldnt really risk it, but thats just me. If he has already tasted them he will want to get more. And he is a retriever, its what they are bred to do...

3. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Retrievers aren't bred to kill birds. They are bred to retrieve dead birds. I have a bird dog who went after a chick once. I yelled at her and that was the end of it. She is an unusually obedient dog. Hunting dogs are bred for cooperation and are generally eager to please their owner. Do a search on livestock guardian dog training. The key to keeping your dog from wanting to eat your birds is to desensitize the dog. The more the dog is around the birds and made to remain calm, the less exciting the bird will become.

4. aduckstolemyheart

aduckstolemyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    Well, retrievers are born to mouth, and to retrieve, but eating birds is NOT what they were bred for. Ideally they should have soft mouths, the hunters never want to birds punctured or eaten. My GR will chase the ducks, but will not hurt them.

It may just be the dog, not the breed.

5. Pinx

Pinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Amarillo, Texas
    My Boxer is fine with the chickens, chicks, and ducks. BUT there is no way in the world I would trust him with them alone... He is sort of odd... no nonsense.. no one plays or he breaks it up, just wants to lay around and keep an eye on things... but it would only take one chicken pecking him and he would sign their death certificate.

My Doberman... well she is just unpredictable as far as little animals are concerned... she loves her cats but birds are to tempting with the noise, and running, and flapping. She mothered a kitten that was 7 weeks old and the size of a 1 week old kitten. She cleaned her, protected her, carried her to her bed and even tried to let her nurse, if any of the other cats got around the kitten she showed them exactly how many teeth she had. With that being said, even if she was being good with the chicks and maybe even trying to take care of them, it would only take one chick/chicken/duck running around making a racket before she snatched them up. For now she watches them through the fence and is getting better about them being out, once she gets good with that I will take her out on a leash with me... and maybe even a muzzle cause she is quick. I don't want her to figure out that it is fun or whatever to chase them. We have had a couple of incidents where I was in the coop with the run door open and turn around and she is right beside me (my son wasn't paying attention and let her in the yard surrounding the coop). I told her out and she went back to the porch... but that still isn't enough to trust her lol. I will never trust her with them alone. Probably the most slack she will get is being able to run around in the yard with the chickens out while I am there... she is very well behaved as far as minding, but in the chase I don't know that she would even hear me. We will just have to see how many privileges she gets. Everything has to get along here, even the cats lay out in the chicken yard while the chickens are out, they got reprimanded when they started to stalk and now I don't worry about them at all with the big chickens, especially since if the cats get to close or don't walk off when the chickens come up to them they get pecked, and then run for their lives with a bird on their heels lol. The chicks are watched like a hawk by me cause they are to small to even begin to defend themselves.

If he were mine and has already killed then if he was allowed near them at all it would be on a leash so I could get control of the situation if I had to, and probably with a muzzle on so he couldn't snag one that got to close.

Good Luck!

6. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I have a greyhound and a doberman who where here when the box of ducklings arrived. They learned quick little ducklings snap your nose when you stick it where it doesn't belong or you are just too close to them. They leave the ducks alone.

The great dane came as an adult (tween? - she was 14 months) and had to be introduced to the ducks. She likes to play with everything, so we had to teach her ducks are not to snack on or play with. After 2 weeks, I was fine letting her out by herself with the ducks. She's fine with them as well. If she tried to eat them, she would not have been welcome to stay.
    I would not trust a dog around ducks/chickens if it had already eaten some. If I had to have ducks/chickens/dog that eats them, I'd make sure the ducks/chickens had a place that the dog could NEVER get to.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  7. ZoeS95423

ZoeS95423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Quote:Well I didnt mean EAT them, Ik they are bird dogs,
    But if he has already eaten two of them, then I really just would let him near them, as
    stated

Quote:Back in my dads day, he used to die the dogs up close enough to see the birds, but not close enough to get to them, and they would try and try, but eventually figure there was no point in trying. But that was in like the 60's

8. dwhite

dwhite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Our pug was raised around chckens and ducks, she doesn't bother them except to sniff one occasionally, she will hang out unsupervised with them, however I would not trust another dog around our flock since I don't know how the other dog would react.

9. Totes Quackers

Totes Quackers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Melbourne
    I have a border collie x, a mini fox terrier, 6 chooks and a quacker who share a 1/4 acre and sometimes even the dog kennel.. [​IMG]
    The dogs were here waayyy before the feathered friends but it seemed to all fit together [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by