Duck/chicken coop ideas

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by fuzzy8, Apr 1, 2016.

1. fuzzy8

fuzzy8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2016
    Escanaba, Mi
    I Currently have a 5x7 shed that I turned into a insulated and sheeted. It's about 5 1/2 feet tall. I was planning on putting a good layer of wood shavings on the ground. And a feeder and water container in a corner. What else would I need to make it accommodate for 2 chickens? A roost near the top for the chickens. Do they need a ramp?

2. owlflights

owlflights Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2015
    SE Iowa
    Well they need nesting boxes of course. Just one would be sufficient for two chickens if you don't plan on more. I'm not sure if you mean a ramp to the roosts or the door, so I'm assuming roosts. It depends on the breed and the height of the roost. It is more difficult for large breeds to jump up and down a high roost.

Also I would advise against having only two chickens if those will be your only ones. If one dies, the remainder will be lonely. Chickens should not be by themselves.

3. fuzzy8

Mar 18, 2016
    Escanaba, Mi
    Yes I ment a ramp to the roost. But I will just put a few boards for them to hop onto. Well I'm getting 4 ducks. I don't want to crowd my coop too much. I'm afraid 4 ducks and 3 chickens would be too much? But I'm new to this

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    It might be too much...ducks have different needs and tolerances, especially when it comes to water.
    Ducks need water deep enough to rinse nostrils, chickens do not do well in a wet environment.

5. fuzzy8

Mar 18, 2016
    Escanaba, Mi
    Yeah I was thinking 2 chickens with the 4 ducks and try to keep it as dry as possible and have majority of my water outside the coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by