Duck chicken cross

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by GreatWhiteNorth, Feb 17, 2015.

1. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth New Egg

Apr 27, 2014
    Hello all...

Just want to say how helpful everyone is and how much my wife and I enjoy the site.
    We are kind of newbies. We have one male Pekin duck and a Black Astrolorp hen. They are best friends. The duck is trying to mount the chicken and I am just curious if this is a viable cross. Would the eggs hatch for the hatch along? If at all. Would the wee ones survive? Just curious. Any info is very much appreciated.

Thanks

2. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    No at all possible but you need to seprate them ASAP. He can seriously injure or possibly kill her. You should look up duck anatomy. It is very interesting and helpful. Basically ducks have a penis while chickens do not and they cannot handle the mating with a duck. You should see about getting him his own female ducks and hope that he leaves your hen alone.

3. Eggmachine11

Eggmachine11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2015
    MO
    First to start off with,they are two different species,this cross is impossible.
    The drake will kill your hen , if he decides to fertilize the eggs.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    1 person likes this.
  5. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth New Egg

Apr 27, 2014
    Once again, very excellent info for us newbies. I will separate them. I learn something new every day. Thanks to all!

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    They both need some friends of their own kind too. [​IMG]

7. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    # one This could never happen they are from different genus ( species doesn't matter if they are of the same genus they can make mules but if different genus there is no possible way for them to breed ) and a chickens reproductive system is totally different from a ducks aside from the egg part.

Someone told me that roosters dont have a stick as ducks do so the ducks "Stick" could really harm your chicken as everyone has been saying,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by