Duck, chicken & quail eggs all in together!

Vonchmessica

Chirping
Sep 8, 2018
Victoria, Australia
More of an interesting hatch read... So, I got an incubator because I want to hatch quail. I ordered some in the post and now the ones that weren’t cracked or broken (only 11/26) are due to hatch in a few days. The eggs are full and it’s very exciting!
My family have ducks and chickens... so my mum roped me into incubating 4 duck eggs for her. And then earlier this week somehow I ended up agreeing to incubate over 20 chicken eggs that are already 3-7 days along for various ‘bad chicken mother’ reasons.
This is my first hatch, of anything, ever... so not sure how this all snowballed into something complicated (I’m looking at you, Mum!) I think my main concern is that the hatching is going to be very staggered and sporadic. So thoughts would be great, and if your curious or interested I can keep an update here.

Just as a side note, I’m in the Southern Hemisphere (country Victoria in Australia) so we are heading into springtime :)

More of an interesting hatch read... So, I got an incubator because I want to hatch quail. I ordered some in the post and now the ones that weren’t cracked or broken (only 11/26) are due to hatch in a few days. The eggs are full and it’s very exciting!
My family have ducks and chickens... so my mum roped me into incubating 4 duck eggs for her. And then earlier this week somehow I ended up agreeing to incubate over 20 chicken eggs that are already 3-7 days along for various ‘bad chicken mother’ reasons.
This is my first hatch, of anything, ever... so not sure how this all snowballed into something complicated (I’m looking at you, Mum!) I think my main concern is that the hatching is going to be very staggered and sporadic. So thoughts would be great, and if your curious or interested I can keep an update here.

Just as a side note, I’m in the Southern Hemisphere (country Victoria in Australia) so we are heading into springtime :)
Is there any way you can get a second incubator to use as the hatcher? Since you have a staggered hatch it should make life a little easier for you if you can move them from the incubator to the hatcher when they go into lockdown, that way the extra humidity needed for lockdown doesn't impact the other eggs.

Also, can you list the start dates and specific types of each egg? Different quail species have different incubation periods, same with some of the ducks. Chickens are pretty much 21 days but bantam breeds can start hatching at 18 days.

Back
Top Bottom