Duck & Chix Eggs under Broody Hen - Advice Please

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by thegreypony, May 31, 2010.

1. thegreypony

thegreypony Chillin' With My Peeps

I posted this in the duck forum but maybe it should be here, too....might get a quicker answer... ????????

We got some fertile eggs from a friend for our broody Buff Orp to hatch out. He put two duck eggs in the carton...now we have 10 chicken eggs and 2 Apple..something or another duck eggs under this hen. Eggs have been under her for 7 days and she's being a very protective mom.

What do I need to do when these chicks hatch on day 21? Someone suggested taking all the chicks out and maybe the hen would sit out another 7 days on the 2 duck eggs. I'd rather pull the duck eggs on day 21 and put them in an incubator if possible. Your thoughts on this please. Anyone ever done this before. We aren't keeping any of these babies but I'd hate to sacrifice these two ducks on day 21. TIA for your help and advice!!

2. gobblecluck

gobblecluck Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2010
    talladega, alabama
    i dont know if this is any help but we have some banties that went broody and we have been snatching the chicks everyday and putting new eggs under them. kinda just using them as incubators until we get an actual incubator but they seem content to just stay broody. some of them have been sitting on eggs for 2 months. we just put some guinea eggs under a couple and they are developing okay. let you know how it turns out.

3. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    If it would more convenient to let the hen brood the chicks and if you have an incubator available to finish the duck eggs I would go that route.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by