Duck Classification Question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dbunni, Jan 28, 2011.

1. dbunni

dbunni Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Ohio
    I know I saw this somewhere, just cannot remember where. We are looking for the classification system for ducks ... breeds, etc. For a 4-Her. We think she has the lighter classes (call & bantie ...although not sure on that one) covered. Looking for her heavy (commercial) and a mid weight. She wanted to do research on the breeds once she see where they fall.

thanks, in advance, for the help ...

2. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Hmmm... was it n BYC or just on the web? I mean im pretty sure that if you had alist of the breeds we BYCer friends would be more than happy to help out since most of us combined own all the breeds of duck and could put in our input. As well as i know there are a bunch of 4 h - ers on here [​IMG]

3. dbunni

Nov 15, 2009
    Ohio
    Wish i could remember ... probably the web...maybe a supplier. Tried the Poultry Association ... no luck ... I know it is out there. And some of the suppliers list on the breed description... should have printed it when I saw it! hindesight!

4. I aways refer to this chart in Holderread's book:
    http://books.google.com/books?id=DD...&resnum=1&ved=0CBMQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false
    He has a chapter devoted to each class in which he describes the breeds, he gives the weight for each class at the begining of the chapters.
    Bantams are between 18 and 40 oz.
    Lightweight are between 3 1/2 to 5 1/2 lbs
    Mediumweights are six to eight lbs.
    Heavyweights are seven to twelve lbs.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  5. dbunni

Nov 15, 2009
    Ohio
    Okay ... that helps ... our county lists ducks in the following classes:
    Commercial Pair
    Fancy Pair
    Call Pair

We allow pure and mixes

She has call pair ... and a pair of white mandrins ... I assume the mandys would be fancy

Commercial would be the heavys? Things we use for meat more or less.
    Thank you ...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by