Duck Color Genetics - Chocolate/black sexlinking

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by wordgirl, Jul 26, 2013.

1. wordgirl

wordgirl One of the Shire-folk

Apr 14, 2009
    I just hatched three ducklings from my Anconas, and all three are chocolates. The potential parents are: black drake, lavender drake, chocolate hen, black hen. I am pretty sure that two of the babies are the black hen's ducklings, as they both have a very similar pattern (incorrect for the breed - they look more like Swedish ducks) as she does. I don't know whether she carries chocolate, or whether they got chocolate from the lavender drake. And it got me thinking whether lavender x black would be sex-linked.

So I'm wondering whether a lavender drake counts as a chocolate drake for the chocolate/black sex-linking. In Holderread's duck book, in the genetics chapter, he says that a chocolate drake over a black hen will produce sex-linked offspring: females will be chocolate, males will be black with a chocolate gene.

Now, a lavender duck has the same genotype as a chocolate duck, except that they are heterozygous for blue. So...can you use lavender drakes for sex-linked mating, or does the blue gene throw things off? I am a newbie at this, so I don't know too much about genetics, though I'd like to learn more! One thing I would expect from putting a lavender on a black is that it could produce some blue offspring.

So if Chocolate X Black = chocolate females/black males (carry choc. gene)
    does Lavender X Black = chocolate females/black(blue) males (carry choc gene.)?

Or are these two matings not equivalent?

Although now I'm a little confused myself...would this mating ever produce any lavenders? If so, would they be males?

Thanks for any advice you can give me! [​IMG]

2. Henk69

Henk69 Songster

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    A female can not carry chocolate without showing it.
    Lavender X black would give either chocolate or lavender daughters.

3. wordgirl

wordgirl One of the Shire-folk

Apr 14, 2009
    I thought that might be the case, with females unable to carry chocolate without showing it.

Okay, so females would be chocolate or lavender. (If my lavender is the dad then, I have two females! Yay!) Would the males be black or blue, then?

Thank you so much for your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: