Duck companion getting way too ...

Discussion in 'Geese' started by MsMelvin, Feb 17, 2011.

1. MsMelvin

MsMelvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    friendly; so to speak. How do I curbtail this change in their relationship...that is; Pekin duck and American buff goose; both a year old in June.

He's a companion only until I obtain a larger goose family this Spring...then he goes to a good, safe home with other ducks. <fingers crossed>

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Good luck. If he does not realize he is a duck, he may never get along with other ducks.

I have a duck - Peepers who thinks he is a chicken - he was raised with a group of bantams and is BFFs with a bantam RIR rooster - Peepers and the Rooster will be 2 years old in April. Peepers is afraid of our flock of ducks, will not sleep near them in the coop and refuses, refuses any advances by female ducks. Peepers loves hens [​IMG] Peepers also refuses to bathe in anything deeper than 4 inches - if he cannot touch the bottom, he will not get in the pool.

Peepers and Woodstock
    [​IMG]

Peepers and some of his flock

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. MsMelvin

Mar 15, 2009
    Gee; I never thought of that...he was with a bunch of other ducks in a little box when I picked him out for a companion. Actually I choose two but turned around a couple miles down the road because one of them would not stop quacking...back with the others it went.

Guess I'm going to have to find a home close so I can check in to make certain he is adjusting well; I don't want him sad...although I realize there will be an adjustment period when I seperate him from Lucy.

Watch; I'll end up getting him a duck girlfriend to live here and goslings for Lucy....just my luck, I'm a sucker for critters.[​IMG]

Great photos, he looks like Lucky ducky but smaller...thank you for sharing; Peepers appears very happy and content with his flock [​IMG] ...and the no swimming part is just too funny...lol

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  4. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    I have a candian female and and emu that are best pals you can see them in my post I have posted on here call my geese flock.

5. Laughing Duck

Laughing Duck New Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    I had a duck think that he could breed a goose. The gander was not happy about that at all. When the goose stopped laying things went back to normal... It was a bit funny here.

6. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    No, its not good! lol~ I just gave my boy away after hatching him here and he was a love but wanted to love my poor ducks![​IMG]

7. JordanFamily

JordanFamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Harrisonville, MO
    Quote:WOW GOT TO LOVE THOSE HORMONES!!! To Funny!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. MsMelvin

Mar 15, 2009
    Well he finally wore her down, she gave in....great. [​IMG]

Now what....dooses/gucks?

I don't know why she doesn't just turn and give him a good wing slap or bite him!!! She is larger and clearly not happy with his behavior.[​IMG]

9. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    OMG, You are so funny! I love it. I want eggs when you sell them PLEASSSSSSE!. I know they will be pricy but I will pay....
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by