Duck constantly keeps bill open

PearlTheDuck

Songster
5 Years
Oct 19, 2016
Texas
My khaki always keeps her bill open, she is not panting, it started last week and i figured it would of stopped by now. She is eating and drinking and acts ok.

She is crested and is behind but I'm not sure if the bill opening is related.

Last edited:
Does she have access to water that is deep enough so she can dip her entire head?  Do her nares (nostrils) look clogged?

I'm not sure what you mean by the last sentence...?

Yeah they have two pools and a deep water dish. I can go look at her nostrils

Crested ducks can have neurological problems and skeletal problems (seizures, kinked necks, shortend bodies etc..) so i wasn't sure if the bill opening could be from that. She already has some issues (had problems getting in the pool, runs into stuff sometimes, gets left behind)

How old is she? Is she pooping okay? Does she have access to shade?

I'm going to tag some other members that might have answers for you. These are some of the questions that they'd probably ask. The only time I've had this issue is when one of my ducks was overheating.

@Miss Lydia
@BantyChooks
@Amiga
@pattyhen

Yes she has shade. She seems to poop fine. 6 weeks old, almost 7.

She keeps her bill open at night too. it hasn't been hot, it's 68F at the moment. It's around 50F at night

How do her nares look clear and open?

Does she seem stressed at all by her mouth breathing? 

@PearlTheDuck

You can look through one nostril and see through to the other side...

No i don't think so

I'm leaning towards it being something neurological, I'm kind of expecting seizures to start :( she has been showing signs since about the second week we had her (running into stuff, getting left behind, head leaning to the side the crest is bigger on etc.. you can obviously tell mentally she is not well and she's mentally behind) I've already been through this once and have noticed similar issues between Pete and her.

You can look through one nostril and see through to the other side...

No i don't think so

I'm leaning towards it being something neurological, I'm kind of expecting seizures to start
sad.png
she has been showing signs since about the second week we had her (running into stuff, getting left behind, head leaning to the side the crest is bigger on etc.. you can obviously tell mentally she is not well and she's mentally behind) I've already been through this once and have noticed similar issues between Pete and her.
I hate it for you and for the duckling. At least you knew when you got her this could be an issue and you can be there for her. Have you tried vitamins something like Poultry Nutri drench? Something that may give her some needed nutrients?

I hate it for you and for the duckling.  At least you knew when you got her this could be an issue and you can be there for her.  Have you tried vitamins something like Poultry Nutri drench?  Something that may give her some needed nutrients?

I'm heading to my local feed store in a little bit to pick up some stuff, I will definitely look for some.

Back
Top Bottom