Duck convulsions not sure whats going on?? SICK DUCK????

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BlackAce, Feb 3, 2014.

1. BlackAce

BlackAce Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2013
    I have two Cayugas Ducks that hatched in November. Tonight I had noticed that one seemed to be a little off like it wasn't feeling well and balance was a tad off. So I gave them some Sav A Chick and I kept an eye on her. I checked up on her about an hour later and she was laying on her back. Looking like she was having convulsions. I thought maybe "this is it" and only was going to have one duck left. It looks like that she is trying to quack but nothing is coming out and can't seem to hold her head up. I put her in the sink with some warm water and then wrapped her in a towel. Not sure if that was the right thing to do but it seemed to help a little. She is shaking but I'm thinking it cause she was wet.

Oh she has been in the house since she was born I have the two of them together in a bin with hay and always plenty of water and food. I have them in house until they are a little older to put outside with my chickens.

Anyone have any ideas? Suggestions??? I don't want to lose her and I think my other Cayuga who always cries when they are separate wouldn't make it being alone.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    What is their diet?

One possibility is vitamin deficiency.

Any chance she could have gotten into something toxic?

Who has contact with them?

If it's something toxic, you might consider a flush, or, maybe just some food grade activated charcoal. A few capsules of that in a pint of water to drink. It won't hurt the other duck to drink that, it is said to bind to toxins in the gut.

Praying for you all.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  3. BlackAce

Jun 7, 2013
    I've been giving them a starter duck feed. The other one seems fine and didn't have any issues. She had done this once before but didn't have any convulsions just a little off balance. Like I said it was once and was only about a day, if that.

I don't think she got into anything toxic, they are both together in a HUGE bin.

Just the two of us are really the only two in contact with both of them.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Some infections can cause these symptoms. Do you have a vet who might be able to help? If that is not possible, you might think about whether you feel it is a bacterial infection and consider antibiotics. I don't like to go to those unless necessary, but sometimes they are necessary.

Something with antibiotic qualities is oregano, but I don't know enough to suggest dosage.

5. Avlana

Avlana Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I'd suspect a deficiency first. Add vitamins and niacin. Also, if they go without water for some time and are then given some, sometimes they can gorge on it They'll drink too much water at one time and start to have seizure like symptoms and flipping onto their backs. This can especially be seen in ducklings or young adults. Make sure they have water available all day.

1 person likes this.
  6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Ducks seem to have different nutritional needs. What is sufficient for one may not be optimal for others, from what I have seen on the forum.

That is all I can think of - either nutritional problem, toxin, or infection. Occasionally we see something like this resulting from a spinal injury, like when a duckling takes a fall.

Hydration, vitamins, TLC, warmth, if she doesn't show improvement or if your instincts tell you to try it, activated charcoal or antibiotics.

If I can think of anything else I will post it.

7. BlackAce

Jun 7, 2013
    Ok unfortunately its to late to do anything today. She did seem better wrapped in a towel but I can keep like that all night. I just put her back and shes flopping around trying to stand but seems like she can't hold her head up and just keeps flipping over. I hope she will make it through the night. I'll try getting some charcoal tomorrow. I don't know where I can get antibiotics from though???

8. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    She is dry now right?

You might try shaping your towel into a Donut shape and setting her in the center. That should help her stay upright. You might check with you feed store.

9. BlackAce

Jun 7, 2013
    Well she made it through the night! Seemed to be better! Standing on her own but she seemed off balance still.

10. blondiebee181

blondiebee181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    I would agree with everything posted...make sure both of them are getting enough vitamins, especially niacin which affects the strength of their legs and feet. Make sure their feed is free of any added medication...there are medicated chick feeds meant to treat coccidia that are not recommended for ducks. I would still flush with the charcoal like Amiga said....I had a duck eat something off and start throwing up once and I used the charcoal on her. Make sure they are not in a room where there could be toxic vapors produced....kind of a long shot but I have read stories about people who kept their brooders in the kitchen or places where toxic vapors make the birds sick....but since your other is seemingly unaffected that's a stretch. Good luck, keep us posted.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by