Duck coop crazy proofing

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Manatwo2002, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Manatwo2002

Manatwo2002 In the Brooder

Nov 30, 2018
    We used plastic pallets to build our coop out of from a local feed store loving to get rid of them for FREE.

The wood I got for FREE from a local job site that was throwing scrape wood away or burning it. I offered to help clean the mess they were making some by taking it off there hands.

The fence panels and windows were FREE too. Where I would see them redoing a area and would stop to ask if I could have it, and help clean the mess redoing stuff.

The wire fencing is held on by zip ties, or screws with the orange circle from roofing nails which I got for free too.

The only things I had to pay out of pocket was some wire fencing, nails, zip ties, screws, and the white cover thats a fiberglass, and concert to hold the post.

It may be cloudy but it still let's in plenty of light for summer & hopefully winter.

I first add the big coop.

then I am recently turned the sides in a big nursery area two pallets long.

The other two spots are 1 pallet each & will be for females to lay or brooding. After all the babies are big I will use the nursery to house my only 2 drakes when needed for time out.

It's taking me awhile to get done but by the time it's all done and closed over the top I will feel more comfortable from snakes and raccoons.

I'm going to gravel the inside when done with river rock.

The inside of the big Indian runner ducks is sand which works really good for cleaning poop and finding eggs my one female loves to hide.

I'm adding a 255 gallon water tank to hook to 1 -55 gallon & 2 - 20 gallon barrels for fresh auto water.
    Plus alot of 3 feet sewage PVC pipes I got FREE from a friend for auto feeders.

Right now I'm just experimenting with the nursery's auto feeders for the 12 hours I go to work. It seems to do the job. received_307831866644464.jpeg
    Will add more pictures later.

MIDuckLady, DuckyDonna and bluemerle like this.
  2. Manatwo2002

Nov 30, 2018
    Big part done received_1751605428222472.jpeg

quackiemama and Miss Lydia like this.
  3. Manatwo2002

Nov 30, 2018
    IMG_20190527_182431401.jpg nursery area used grandbabies old crib for doors

quackiemama likes this.
  4. Manatwo2002

Nov 30, 2018
    Side view of the other side of nursery area IMG_20190528_092328276_HDR.jpg

bluemerle and quackiemama like this.
  5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

I have to say this is the most interesting use of materials I have ever seen. Good Job!! Can the coop be closed at night for protection? Are you going to also put something over the top of the fenced area? since you work 12 hrs a day that's a lot of time they will be with out protection for anything that could climb over?

DuckyDonna and quackiemama like this.
  6. Manatwo2002

Nov 30, 2018
    Whole outside of nursery and female areas
    IMG_20190521_193627872.jpg

quackiemama likes this.
  7. Manatwo2002

Nov 30, 2018
    Yes it get closed at night but the whole gate/pen is open all day for the adults for now because I have a huge pond they go to during the day while I'm out.

The babies stay in the nursery.

Yeah our area can flood + plus ducks love there water & messes so the plastic is so it doesn't rot and I don't have to keep replacing it.

And I do plan to close up the top and add automatic door openers.
    Specially on the times I go on vacation for a few days they will be able to just hang out in the pen with no worries.

Miss Lydia and quackiemama like this.
  8. Manatwo2002

Nov 30, 2018
    The tarp is because I haven't had time to seal where the screws went before it rained.

DuckyDonna and quackiemama like this.
  9. Jbently28

Jbently28 Songster

May 7, 2018
    Louisiana
    What a way to repurpose! You've got me thinking hard about the materials I have lying around at the moment. My husband works construction and is always bringing home scrap pieces. I even have an old crib as well that just may make it's way outside. I'm moving in a couple of weeks, so I'm currently trying to come up with ideas for the new chicken and duck runs.

10. quackiemama

quackiemama Crowing

Dec 26, 2018
    MARYLAND
    very neat. Where are you located? It is very pretty

DuckyDonna and Miss Lydia like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: