Duck coop flooring in N. East Ohio

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DeniseV, May 31, 2016.

1. DeniseV

DeniseV Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2015
    I live in N. E. Ohio and I used sand on the ground for my ducks outdoor pen flooring. I used sand last year. It was fine until fall/winter. It began to stink and it got very slippery in the winter. Any suggestions? I want to make the best choice before I switch things out?
    Thanks...

2. Autumn Leaves

Autumn Leaves Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2014
    Cincinnati Ohio
    I am in southern Ohio and used sand for the last two years. My ducks share their pen with my chickens. I refresh my sand in the spring and fall. It has a 3 inch base of small pebbles and then 3 inches of sand topping. I found that thickness of sand and gravel kept the run from being an ice slick.

I also remove their pond and use a heated water source that they can only place their head into during the winter. If it warms up, they get a pool outside the run or if it is cold for a long period they get a treat and get to use my bathtub [​IMG]

My coop/run did not smell all winter - I actually had no smell until last week. I think limiting the amount of water in the run is key, along with having the correct size for the number of birds. My coop and run share a wall with the master bedroom of my house so I know when it is stinky out there! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. DeniseV

DeniseV Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2015
    Do you have a solid roof over top of them? Right now I have fencing above them as well as on the sides. I'm thinking of putting a solid roof on to help keep the rain away to help.

4. Autumn Leaves

Autumn Leaves Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2014
    Cincinnati Ohio
    I don't have a solid roof. The first year I did, but I havn't noticed a difference. My run is just too large for a real roof - but it is covered in hardware cloth.

My run is also located in a low spot that floods all the time. Adding the gravel base really helped with this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by