Duck coop

lilstovall

Hatching
May 22, 2021
We have two male magpie ducks and one buff Orpington female. We hatched some of her eggs and now I have 16 ducks! Way more hatched than we were expecting. Needless to say our coop has gotten crowded and we are in the process of building another one. Unfortunately, the way the original one is constructed we cannot add onto it. We definitely need to keep the original three together because they are very bonded, but other than that I have no idea how I should separate the 16 babies between the two coops. Not all of them are sexually mature yet, so I don’t know all of their genders. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• 0A6FC7B1-E06A-445F-84DA-80A32BED4DD7.jpeg
    0A6FC7B1-E06A-445F-84DA-80A32BED4DD7.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 19
First, I'm envious of your hatch rate.

Second, knowing where you are and what resources (and skills) you have to work with would go a long way towards offering useful advice.

Third, have you started thinking about what you are going to do with excess Drakes??? I too have a baker's dozen of ducks, and the dominant male was absolutely terrorizing the juvenile males of late. My solution is selective culling, but that not be the direction you are considering. Your future coop plans should account for that consideration.

First, I'm envious of your hatch rate.

Second, knowing where you are and what resources (and skills) you have to work with would go a long way towards offering useful advice.

Third, have you started thinking about what you are going to do with excess Drakes??? I too have a baker's dozen of ducks, and the dominant male was absolutely terrorizing the juvenile males of late. My solution is selective culling, but that not be the direction you are considering. Your future coop plans should account for that consideration.
We are on a ranch in Chappell Hill, TX (between Houston and Austin). I had a rescue duck as a child that had a crippled foot and we kept until she could fly. When Covid hit we decided to get some ducklings from a local feed store and here we are. I have hand raised them all from birth so culling isn’t really something I want to do unless we have to. I realize if there are certain drakes that are overly aggressive it may not be avoidable.

We are on a ranch in Chappell Hill, TX (between Houston and Austin). I had a rescue duck as a child that had a crippled foot and we kept until she could fly. When Covid hit we decided to get some ducklings from a local feed store and here we are. I have hand raised them all from birth so culling isn’t really something I want to do unless we have to. I realize if there are certain drakes that are overly aggressive it may not be avoidable.
I lived in Bastrop, east of Austin, for a couple years - I know Chappell Hill area - or at least, could quickly find it on a map - I think my wife and I drove thru a couple times.

I am currently keeping my ducks in two runs. A single drake (adult) with all the mature hens, and all the immature birds and the rest of the drakes in a second run. They free range together, but I have acres, so the adolescents run for the hills when I let them out, before the oldest boy can hunt them down (and thus, I free them in that order in the AM).

The very youngest of my ducks hatched 3 1/2 weeks ago, they are still in the grow out pen inside my barn overnight, but are now free ranging with the flock during the day (its how I ensure they get enough to eat each day, by ensuring there's no food competition for them at night).

Obviously, most people don't have space or resources for multiple houses, pens, and runs - but if you build a big space, you can always use some temporary fencing to partition it. I'm a fan of flexibility in runs, makes it easier to adapt to changes in flock composition.

and since you are in TX, where heat is the biggest concern, I'd look to build a big covered pen for shade and put very little (other than predator protection) into the sides - just enough to block the winds on the lower 3' or so on the sides of the prevailing winds, winter and summer. North, and East walls are the priorities - Summer winds are mostly out of the south, so not a frostbite concern, given your climate.

Hope that helps

I lived in Bastrop, east of Austin, for a couple years - I know Chappell Hill area - or at least, could quickly find it on a map - I think my wife and I drove thru a couple times.

I am currently keeping my ducks in two runs. A single drake (adult) with all the mature hens, and all the immature birds and the rest of the drakes in a second run. They free range together, but I have acres, so the adolescents run for the hills when I let them out, before the oldest boy can hunt them down (and thus, I free them in that order in the AM).

The very youngest of my ducks hatched 3 1/2 weeks ago, they are still in the grow out pen inside my barn overnight, but are now free ranging with the flock during the day (its how I ensure they get enough to eat each day, by ensuring there's no food competition for them at night).

Obviously, most people don't have space or resources for multiple houses, pens, and runs - but if you build a big space, you can always use some temporary fencing to partition it. I'm a fan of flexibility in runs, makes it easier to adapt to changes in flock composition.

and since you are in TX, where heat is the biggest concern, I'd look to build a big covered pen for shade and put very little (other than predator protection) into the sides - just enough to block the winds on the lower 3' or so on the sides of the prevailing winds, winter and summer. North, and East walls are the priorities - Summer winds are mostly out of the south, so not a frostbite concern, given your climate.

Hope that helps
Super helpful ideas! Thanks so much for all the tips. So cool you are nearby and understand the climate etc. We have been figuring things out as we go along, but I want to make sure everyone is happy and safe. All seems well for now and especially when they are free ranging during the day, but we are trying to be prepared for when they grow up, which is happening quickly! I’m also already having to clean the coop so much more frequently with so many of them and it’s only going to get worse. I like the thought of trying to connect them and keeping things flexible. Thanks again!

Super helpful ideas! Thanks so much for all the tips. So cool you are nearby and understand the climate etc. We have been figuring things out as we go along, but I want to make sure everyone is happy and safe. All seems well for now and especially when they are free ranging during the day, but we are trying to be prepared for when they grow up, which is happening quickly! I’m also already having to clean the coop so much more frequently with so many of them and it’s only going to get worse. I like the thought of trying to connect them and keeping things flexible. Thanks again!

I'm a year ahead of you on this journey, happy to share my mistakes in hopes others don't make them!

Ducks are DIRTY messy critters. Have you considered deep litter methods of management???

I just hatched a baby duckling that had a harmed leg. After a couple hours they are fine and walking around great now. I do not know the gender yet, for it is only one day old. It’s name is Pebbles and has imprinted on me. I don’t know much any tips will help. Things I would like to know: What toys do they like? What happens if I give it medicated chick starter? What tubs for first swim do you recommend? How do I tell the sex? Can I only raise one or do I need multiple? How do I build a duck swing? When can i give them a kiddie pool? How do I get the poop of it’s bum? And lastly, what feed and waters do you recommend? (Below are two pics, in the first one they aren’t dead just resting)

Attachments

• 7E1F650D-439B-4608-BFA4-27F47AD7A74F.jpeg
    7E1F650D-439B-4608-BFA4-27F47AD7A74F.jpeg
    143.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 2ADAB614-9C3D-4D0E-A9AE-A55C03F6DEA2.jpeg
    2ADAB614-9C3D-4D0E-A9AE-A55C03F6DEA2.jpeg
    191.8 KB · Views: 9
I'm a year ahead of you on this journey, happy to share my mistakes in hopes others don't make them!

Ducks are DIRTY messy critters. Have you considered deep litter methods of management???

We have definitely been layering and my husband found this really great probiotic spray that has been helpful. It just going from 3 to 16 is a major change! Makes sense there would be more clean up involved.

Back
Top Bottom