Duck coughing and breathing heavy: respiratory or worms? (Treatment recommendation?)

K2goatsandducks

Songster
Aug 30, 2020
Sacramento, CA, USA
My 2 year old Welsh Harlequin seems to have a respiratory issue going on.

A couple months ago I noticed her making a high pitched snicking like noise from time to time. It has gradually gotten more frequent, though I really only noticed it when she was eating or foraging, so I thought maybe she was just being overly enthusiastic with her food.

She has been active and going out with the flock, and her behavior has seemed pretty normal.

But last night when putting the birds away I saw her actually cough about 4 times, and tonight she she stayed back in the garden curled up resting and I had to go herd her into the coop. When she got in, she started coughing again, and I noticed her tail bobbing a bit with some labored breathing. When I tried to catch her to listen to her better, she evaded me, but then she was breathing much harder with her bill open a tiny bit.

The flock is on pine shavings. We live in the Sacramento Valley in California and haven't had rain for MONTHS. It's been extremely dry.

We had a case of Coryza hit our chickens back in July, but it's my understanding that ducks can't get that?

As an additional case, one of my Pekins (2.5. years old) has been having difficulty swallowing, and her neck and throat look a bit swollen. She still has an appetite, but sometimes she drools and shakes her head and regurgitates the food and tries to eat it again.

What are your thoughts?

Could these cases be related?

Any recommendations for treatment? I suspect that my Welshie needs antibiotics. I don't want a respiratory thing to get a deeper hold than it already has. I have Sulfadimethoxine powder, Tylosin powder, and Amoxicillin pills. Is any one of those better than another? I also have Fendabendazole if it might be a worm issue?

I appreciate any advice or suggestions. I know these things can turn quickly, and I don't want to waste anymore time than I already have. :(

Could your Pekin gotten bit by a bee or snake? You could try some Benedryl for children and see if it helps.
As for your WH I'd def get her on some meds. of the 3 you have either Sulfadimethoxine or Tylosin would be best to use.
Here is a med chart for dosage
http://www.poultrypedia.com/medicine-chart

I've not heard of waterfowl getting Coryza.

Update and hoping for more advice...

We started the Welsh Harlequin on Safeguard paste (about 1.25 ccs) for 5 days, but saw no improvement. That rules out gapeworm, yes?

In fact, her breathing is much worse. It went from a growly, gurgly sound, to now wheezing all the time and open mouthed breathing whenever she is up and moving. She is still eating and drinking, but she has definitely lost weight.

I don't want to just throw antibiotics at her, as it doesn't seem like a bacterial infection. She has no eye or nasal discharge. Just coughing, wheezing, and difficulty breathing.

I have Tylosin powder, Sulfadimethoxin powder, Erythromycin powder, and Amoxicillan tablets.

I can separate her from the flock and treat her water, but it definitely stresses her out more to be locked up, and I don't think she will really drink any of the treated water when she is stressed.

I'm at a bit of a loss of what to do. Do I just let her live out her days with her flock? She still enjoys foraging, bathing, and wandering the property (1 acre) with them. Or do I pen her up with medicated water and hope she drinks it and doesn't stress herself out so much that she can't drink or eat?

I appreciate any insight anyone can offer.

(A vet is not an option; I'm sorry. We adore our birds, but they are not pets for us. We do our best to give them the best lives possible, but we can only go so far in our interventions. I hope you understand.)

I’d try and treat her before giving up. If you can separate her where she’ll still be close to the flock that should help. Treating not treating always up to the owner.

Just saw this thread. Sounds like the same thing my duck has been dealing with for 2 months. I did end up taking her to the vet due to respiratory distress. I just couldn't leave her like that. Turned out she had pneumonia. After several vet prescribed antibiotics that didn't work I finally had the vet do a culture/sensitivity test and she came back positive a multi drug resistant e. Coli infection. She has now been on injectable Amikacin for 3 weeks and is 95% back to normal. If I had not taken her to the vet she definitely not have made it.

Just saw this thread. Sounds like the same thing my duck has been dealing with for 2 months. I did end up taking her to the vet due to respiratory distress. I just couldn't leave her like that. Turned out she had pneumonia. After several vet prescribed antibiotics that didn't work I finally had the vet do a culture/sensitivity test and she came back positive a multi drug resistant e. Coli infection. She has now been on injectable Amikacin for 3 weeks and is 95% back to normal. If I had not taken her to the vet she definitely not have made it.
So wonderful to hear a good report, so many of us haven't Vets that will see poultry or the cost keeps us from going that route but your giving us what worked for your duck helps us possibly find meds online that can help ours if we have something like this happen. Dosage would sure help too. Thank you.

So wonderful to hear a good report, so many of us haven't Vets that will see poultry or the cost keeps us from going that route but your giving us what worked for your duck helps us possibly find meds online that can help ours if we have something like this happen. Dosage would sure help too. Thank you.
She's been on Amikacin, which is kind of a last resort drug since her infection is resistant to pretty much everything else. She gets .25mL once a day of the liquid 250mg/mL. Her most recent X-ray still showed spots on her lungs but they are greatly reduced. The vet extended the Amikacin by another week so she will have it maxed out at a 28 day cycle. But she's finally acting like herself again and I think she will be ok!

That is great to hear. I think I'd give her a probiotic if you aren't already since these antibiotics kill off good and bad bacteria.
please keep us updated on how she is doing.

That is great to hear. I think I'd give her a probiotic if you aren't already since these antibiotics kill off good and bad bacteria.
please keep us updated on how she is doing.
It just arrived in the mail today! Oh and she's also been treated for Trichomonas twice, and we have to repeat it again. But overall it's a night and day improvement

Back
Top Bottom