Duck coughing, unable to lift left wing.

Macjjo

Chirping
Dec 19, 2021
Hi, so I’ve been handling a Black Swedish for 8 years, who’s suddenly suffering some kind of wing injury and is coughing a LOT. He never had angel wing, but struggles to keep his wings in his down, which I recognize is a stress issue. I understand he is old, and in fact recently lost his adoptive brother two months prior, but I don’t know what could cause him to suffer all of these issues at once.

I appointed a vet for tuesday, and will document whatever symptoms he shows between then if so, but just now he seems to be more hoarse with his quacks. He still eats, socializes, and acts normal, but the symptoms he shows are very alarming.

I fear that he’s become depressed since losing the other bird, Rock, who had passed back in October, which led to him being more susceptible to health issues with his age. He’s been around other ducks, and Rock’s former mate has been there with him, but he’s still shyer than most of the other ducks, with his two daughters even picking on him.

Any help would be welcome in the meantime.

Attachments

• 20FFC22E-8740-4835-A3C5-E20BDBA2A94E.jpeg
    20FFC22E-8740-4835-A3C5-E20BDBA2A94E.jpeg
    842.9 KB · Views: 27
  • C7C9F8C0-7D54-446B-9402-D95ADDBC550C.jpeg
    C7C9F8C0-7D54-446B-9402-D95ADDBC550C.jpeg
    285.7 KB · Views: 5
  • C148200E-7966-4DAE-B309-A87039323322.jpeg
    C148200E-7966-4DAE-B309-A87039323322.jpeg
    866.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 98569926-78C5-4FDB-857B-6D6954464F61.jpeg
    98569926-78C5-4FDB-857B-6D6954464F61.jpeg
    399.6 KB · Views: 7
Hi, so I’ve been handling a Black Swedish for 8 years, who’s suddenly suffering some kind of wing injury and is coughing a LOT. He never had angel wing, but struggles to keep his wings in his down, which I recognize is a stress issue. I understand he is old, and in fact recently lost his adoptive brother two months prior, but I don’t know what could cause him to suffer all of these issues at once.

I appointed a vet for tuesday, and will document whatever symptoms he shows between then if so, but just now he seems to be more hoarse with his quacks. He still eats, socializes, and acts normal, but the symptoms he shows are very alarming.

I fear that he’s become depressed since losing the other bird, Rock, who had passed back in October, which led to him being more susceptible to health issues with his age. He’s been around other ducks, and Rock’s former mate has been there with him, but he’s still shyer than most of the other ducks, with his two daughters even picking on him.

Any help would be welcome in the meantime.
So sorry you and your duckie are going through this! I am sorry I am unsure what it could be! Praying your little feathered friend is on the mend soon! Hopefully my post will bump this thread up for other more experienced people to see.

Update: He stopped coughing for a while, but now his coughing is much worse.
It rained this morning, and now he won’t stop hacking.
His quacks are normal, but his left wing still hasn’t recovered either. Is there anything else I can do to help alleviate his issues?

Is he having any discharge from his eyes or nares. Does he sound congested? The wing is possibly an injury if the other ducks are picking on him it might be a good idea to separate him from them with fencing so he can still be with them but not so they can pick on him. You could try wrapping the wing for a few days to a week and see how it is doing.
If you think he is sick It would probably be a good idea to have him inside where you can monitor his eating and drinking.
Can you put up a video of his coughing? when does he do this the most is it certain times of the day or all the time?
This is wrapping for angel wing but it will work for an injury too.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/angel-wing-treatment.1252014/

Is he having any discharge from his eyes or nares. Does he sound congested? The wing is possibly an injury if the other ducks are picking on him it might be a good idea to separate him from them with fencing so he can still be with them but not so they can pick on him. You could try wrapping the wing for a few days to a week and see how it is doing.
If you think he is sick It would probably be a good idea to have him inside where you can monitor his eating and drinking.
Can you put up a video of his coughing? when does he do this the most is it certain times of the day or all the time?
This is wrapping for angel wing but it will work for an injury too.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/angel-wing-treatment.1252014/
he sounds congested, and he’s been separated from the flock, albeit with another duck nearby. He’s also been eating and drinking. I can try and send a video of him coughing but it’s on and off. I may bring him inside, but i’ll have to update on that

Last edited:
Update: it’s cancer likely

The vet found some kind of mass in his joint, and when poked, it was sticky. That’s likely what was causing the wing issues, and by proxy the coughing. Unfortunately, I don’t know what else there is to do for him. His shoulder is swollen, but at the very least he’s swimming, eating, etc. Still, it’s likely just a matter of time since he’s old and weak.
It’s a shame since the duck he was raised with also died of cancer, so its unfortunate that he’s been afflicted too.

Attachments

• C8956BD9-A3D0-4D48-9B99-C616B508D5EF.jpeg
    C8956BD9-A3D0-4D48-9B99-C616B508D5EF.jpeg
    670.7 KB · Views: 6
Is there anything else I could do to worsen the effects of the tumor? He looks miserable walking around with it and his wing droops to the ground.

Attachments

• 4403B6EC-A30A-46B2-8D8F-4F741B8E8B29.jpeg
    4403B6EC-A30A-46B2-8D8F-4F741B8E8B29.jpeg
    723.4 KB · Views: 4
This isn’t something I want to post, but at what point would be the best time to put him down? He’s having a hard time cleaning himself now, and its clear he’s only going to get worse from here. At the very least I’d want to just know he’s okay. He’s been receiving painkillers and VetRx daily, but even that’s not been solving the problem. He’s still somewhat social but he’s very much not in good shape.

Last edited:
Another update. He’s more distant from the ducks, even moreso than ever. Sleeps a lot more, won’t quack at all. Wing is constantly dragging behind and won’t even leave the pen. I don’t know how much longer he has

Back
Top Bottom