Duck dealings

PotterWatch

My Patronus is a Chicken
11 Years
Apr 22, 2008
Virginia
My husband loves ducks and now that we have chickens and goats, he is interested in getting some ducks as well. I have read a bit on duck care, but I would like to hear from you all what you like and dislike about keeping ducks. I'm not yet sold on the idea of ducks (all that slimy poop!), but I'm willing to look into it since my husband would dearly love to get some. He's put up with my chickens and goats so I owe him, lol.

ducks are WONDERFUL little creatures!!! they imprint on you very easily when they are ducklings and are so cute. And also you get the added benefit of having fresh eggs everyday!!!!!
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

Muscovies IMHO are low maintenance, pretty well take care of themselves. Make little noise and when they start laying are very dedicated mothers and multiply quite fast.
They only require a small kiddy pool for fun and washing, will follow you around the yard like a puppy dog begging for treats.
Look you in the eye to comunicate with the tilt and bob of their head.
Left to run in the yard mine prefer the goat pen and grassy areas to say your flowers or garden and when in the garden never distroy the goods.
If you are looking for a meat- it is all dark but very lean unlike what I have heard about other ducks being fatty.

Yes -there will be poop.

Will they fly away if left to free-range around the yard? Will they destroy spots of my grass like the chickens do with their scratching? How do you deal with the poop?

Mine stay in the yard they don't even go close to the road. They can fly for a while but most don't unless they get scared, then mine got so heavy the could not get off the ground. You can always clip their wing just one. Adults would need to be housed for a little while tile they adjust to their new home. Babies raised there would stay with out a problem

big_smile.png
Ideal is having a duckling special now if you're interested.

Duckling Special

Available on 12-29-08. This offer is a great way for you to add variety to your flock. The Hatchery Choice Ducks assortment is IDEAL'S choice of st. run ducks that are not sold out as specific breeds. This assortment could include such varieties as White Pekins, Blue Swedish or Rouens.

Regular price for Hatchery Choice Ducks is $3.23.

Your special price:

Hatchery Choice Ducks- $1.60

Our hours are 8:00 am - 5:00 pm Central time Monday - Friday, or 24/7 on our website. Give us a call at 254-697-6677.

Click here to place your order

The slimy poop isn't near as bad as the brown runny stuff my chickens release. Man that stuff is rank.
sickbyc.gif

I find my five call duck very amusing to sit and watch. They are definetly the clowns of the birds.

jeremy

I just let my ducks run around the yard and swim in the ditches. they know where home is and the feeder.

Ducks/geese are the lowest maintenance barnyard animals we have here.

We have always had a pair of ducks with our chickens and they are lovely. they bond really well with each other and chatter away as they waddle about the field. they rootle their beaks in any soft earth and they are always so thrilled with water in any form. I only have one at the moment, a white khaki campbell and she lays every day. She is very chatty and quite loud when she wants food. I do not find her poo too bad but she is never in the garden.
Ducks have to have water they can get their head into and love to swim when they can. I really miss them when we have a period without.

Back
Top Bottom