Duck died - what should I do next?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Myra, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Myra

Myra Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2009
    I found my 3 year old female pekin dead this morning in the duck's kiddie pool. Her mate was swimming beside her - so sad. Now that leaves me with 2 males and 1 female - not good. So is it too late to order 2-3 more female ducklings this late in the season? I live in the NE of United States so would ducklings be old enough to be outside this winter? And where could/should I order them?

Thanks,
    Myra

2. duck15

duck15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Philippines Makati
    how did she die? just asking

3. Myra

Myra Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2009
    I'm not sure the exact cause of death - she has been doing somewhat "slower" the past few days, just not herself.

Myra

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    You might want to see if you can find out what killed her, sometimes a land grant university will do a necropsy.

Have you considered adopting from a waterfowl rescue organization?

5. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Where are you located? It would probably be best to see if you can find a few full grown- or almost full grown ducks. Most hatcheries don't ship ducklings this time of the year because of the heat. I am located in Maine and have some if you aren't too far away. I have ducklings that are less than a week old as well as full-grown ducks.

6. Myra

Myra Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2009
    I sent you an email! Hopefully,you live close enough by me!

Myra

7. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Don't know where you live, but the Nevins Farm/MSPCA in Methuen MA usually has some ducks available for adoption. I would call them if you don't see any on their website. That's where I have gotten all my ducks from. They are wonderful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by