Duck Dilemma - UPDATED #35

chickensioux

Songster
10 Years
Feb 12, 2009
Western North Carolina
About 2 weeks ago an aquaintance called me about 3 stray ducks in her neighborhood. She knew where they belonged and had returned them several times. She lives on a very busy street that also has neighborhood dogs that run loose. The last time she had tried to return them, the mother (of the man that owns them) asked if she wanted to keep the ducks because "they're just gonna wander off again". She took that as a sign that these ducks were not only unwanted but definately neglected. She called me. I took the ducks in. Now they live with pleny of food, water, shade, fenced in area and predator safe at night.

Here's the dilemma: She called me today and said the man was looking for his ducks. She told them where she had taken them, fussed at him about the care they need and told him how they live now. She asked if I wanted to call him "NO" (I'm not putting any effort into giving him his ducks back) but told her she could give him my number and I will discuss it with him. She knows how I feel about it. They should stay here with me BUT if he calls what would you say to him? Do I have the right to keep these ducks? Should they be returned to him? If he puts up a big enough stink, I will but.......I don't feel good about that.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
I wouldn't offer to sell them back, myself. If he's not taking care of them, the price would do nothing to help my conscience.

Interesting that "mom" is apparently not too keen on keeping them. That's for them to work out, though.

I'd probably just say that the ducks were offered by a household member, and taken in good faith.

He can get other ducks if he wants them.

i wonder if he has a legal foot to stand on. After all, he didn't surrender the ducks, his mother did. Personally, in hindsight, your friend should have said she has no idea where they are, because now you will have to deal with someone who might be operating with less than a full deck. You may or may not be able to have a rational conversation with him. If he knows you have the ducks, he could possibly take you to court to get them back, or have a sherriff or animal control officer simply retrieve them.

i say, if he calls, tell him a friend came to visit, who lives in another state, fell in love with those ducks and you let her take them home. So now they live on the other side of the country.

Take all the best of this advice.

Force the man to be persistant. Make him pay for your care. If he really wants them, he will be persistant and pay. Perhaps the absence has made him appreciate his pets.

Don't make it easy for him to get them back, and likely he will put no more effort into regaining them than he did for caring.

Quote:
X2!

Question...is the mother the owner of the property? Does he live there? If he doesn't...I would say they were hers...and she gave them to you.He's asking 2 WEEKS later?? That alone tells you he hasn't got enough concern for his ducks...

Back
Top Bottom