Duck dilemma- what do we do?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Duckville denizen, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Duckville denizen

Duckville denizen Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Texas Hill Country
    Plume, one of our little creek ducks, hatched two beautiful little Pekin babies Tuesday. They came off the nest by themselves to feed and water in our little alley right behind our house, but Plume kept going back to the nest. I told our neighbor that we needed to clean out the unhatched eggs, and she was going to do that this morning. To her surprise and mine, Plume had hatched two more babies and still was on the nest. Her first two have stayed in a plant saucer of water in the alley almost all day by themselves. We decided she was not going to claim them, so we caught them and took them inside, which, at the time, didn't seem to bother the mother. About an hour later, she came off the nest with the two she had hatched this morning, and began quacking like crazy, apparently looking for the first two. We have a lady who is willing to take them and raise them, but we now wonder if Plume will keep them herself. The only thing we can figure that happened is another duck dumped eggs in the nest at a later time, causing the hatching to be so irregular. What do you do when eggs hatch at such different times? Plume seems to want to both take care of the early ones and yet, stay on the nest to hatch the rest. What to do?[​IMG]

2. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    How much time was the first hatch to the "second" hatch?

3. Duckville denizen

Duckville denizen Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Texas Hill Country
    Apparently two to three days. She is a creek duck who comes up to eat from our feeders, and I had noticed she had started sitting, and I marked her time to hatch as July 5. The morning of July 5, she had two fully dried, fluffy babies. The other two didn't make their appearance until today, and she's still sitting on eggs. Right now, we have removed the first two, and she came off the nest for a short while with the other two and then went back to sitting on the nest. We have had 100 plus temperatures all during her hatch time, plus it is dreadfully dry, so I just assumed she was unable to keep their moisture up enough to hatch.

4. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    Washington
    She may still be hatching eggs. Can you erect some sort of containment around her to keep the babies in and give them food and water next to the nest? If so, she will probably finish her hatch and raise them all for you. Mine generally hatch over 2 - 4 days and the mother will sit on the nest with the babies around her. I give them a feeder and water right next to her to keep them nearby and encourage her to finish sitting. Good luck!

If she doesn't seem to want to mother them, take them all. In a few days she will get over it and they can be easily raised by people. I do like my mothers to do the work generally, but I took a batch from a little spazz duck that kept getting them all flustered. They calmed down almost immediately, she took a couple of days, but she could hear them and she'd had them for 3 days first. I felt badly, but she was really making trouble in the duck yard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by