1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duck dilemma!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Thataussielady, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Thataussielady

Thataussielady Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2014
    Queensland, Australia
    I only have two drakes, which used to get along fine but now things have started to change. My runner is a very friendly boy who, although is at sexually maturity, is very well-behaved. My pekin on the other hand, is the complete opposite. He will constantly chase my chickens, bite me until I bleed and has recently started bullying my other drake.
    We were thinking on adding some females to hopefully settle things down, but here is where the problem is.
    I can either

A) give away my pekin and have my runner with the addition of two girls
    B) keep both my drakes and add some female.

There are problems with each option as I would be completely heartbroken to part with one of my boys, and having a big flock of chickens AND ducks is surprisingly hard moneywise, time wise and space wise

If anyone has any other ideas or advice it would be much appreciated!

(Just for a bonus, here's a picture of both of them)

[​IMG]

2. HumbleHen207

HumbleHen207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2013
    Maine
    They are both very handsome boys! Pekins are known to get a bit rowdy, and occasionally aggressive (although my pekin could be lugged around for hours without protesting). Adding hens may certainly help, however there is really no way to completely stop the aggression from the pekin towards your runner, or you. You could attempt to split them into separate housing, however I realize that is not always cost effective. I have a flock of approximately 12 ducks, 5 of them are drakes, two of which are at sexual maturity. They do pick on each other occasionally, however a large space and multiple hens helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by