Duck doesn't like water

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Quackers Mama, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Quackers Mama

Quackers Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Quackers is about 7 weeks old, I've had him for about 5 weeks (still unsure of it's gender & breed). Since the first day I've introduced him to water to swim in. Or more to splash in since it was a shallow dish. Every time I put him in the water he'll jump out. I even tried putting his favorite mealworms into the water. He'll jump out of the water& he'll eat them from the edge lol. Today I tried putting him in the bath with warm water (about room temp) & mealworms. Only way he'd stay in the bath was if I sat on the edge of the tub. If I got up or tried sitting on the floor he'd try jumping out lol. Is Quackers just an odd duck who doesn't like water? Lol is there even such a thing of a duck who don't like water?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    That looks like a Muscovy(see avatar) sex a bit hard to say.. age wise that sounds a bit old, no way if that is him from the pics is he that old.

[​IMG]

This little one above is almost 6wks ... i'd say yours is younger ...

As for the water babies get scared of new things and is he/she the only? without siblings and/or mama to encourage it'll be timid. I;d keep encouraging, in time it will get used to it, now Muscovy do like water but are more puddle ducks vs mallard derived breeds.. they dip, dive and hop out more often than not.

[​IMG]

3. Quackers Mama

Aug 8, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Looking at the calendar right now August 1st is when we got him, today would make it 5 weeks that we've had him. When we first got him all we were told was that he was "a couple weeks old". He's grown a lot since we've had him.

First picture
    [​IMG]

Right now
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Quackers is the only one, I'll for sure keep trying. :) Thought we might of just had an odd ball lol.

4. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    ah, again so cute! no, they lied lol

That first pic is a few days to a week maybe at best. Here ... these are just hatched babies.. about a day or so old.

[​IMG]

Here same crew... they hatched Aug 14 this pic is from a few days ago..

[​IMG]

My best guess? around 5wks give a few days lol

5. Quackers Mama

Aug 8, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Lol so about 5 1/2 weeks no more than 6 weeks old. My kittens were born on July 18th so being told Quackers was a couple weeks old I decided to just say they shared the same birthday lol. Now that I have the correct age & breed just gotta figure out "his" gender. My 4 yr old daughter swears it's a boy. While I think female lol. What age do drake feathers come in?

6. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    They don't, Muscovy are not mallard derived the only "duck" not to be.. so you will never see a drake feather, for them it's all size.. drakes are big, big legs, feet big size...

Here some of my earliest hatches of this year..

The chocolate is a female, the white a drake.. they are 3mths old today.

[​IMG]

This site gives you info on Muscovy themselves

http://www.muscovyduckcentral.com/

The second pic makes me lean towards drake as the legs are real thick .. but they can fool you, and perspectives are off in pictures. They are great birds, even documented for their fly eating ability. I have loads of them here.

7. Quackers Mama

Aug 8, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Ahh gotcha! Thanks for the link. You have some gorgeous ducks. :)

"He" does have really thick legs, your right about perspective being off though. Some pictures made him look really skinny when he's really plump lol. I'm still hoping it's a girl. I want duck eggs lol. Here's a picture of his leg, he was laying down stretching lol.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  8. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    What a cutie but yeah they totally lied about age! I would say at most your little ducky was a few days old. I got mine at 2 weeks and they were way bigger than your little guy/girl. Here are mine at 2 weeks and 1 day, however they are a different breed.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  9. Quackers Mama

Aug 8, 2014
    Houston, TX
    I'm glad this little baby survived, as I didn't have a brooder or heat lamp for him. His bed is a cat carrier with a t-shirt & 2 hand towels inside with a thick towel covering it. He loves his house, when he's ready for bed he'll climb in & go right to sleep lol. His usual bedtime is about 11pm & his lazy butt don't wake up till 9-9:30am. He gets more sleep than I do lol.

10. Howlet

Howlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2014
    Maryland
    My Coop
    aww now i want ducks XD [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by