duck doo doo.....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by VOX, Mar 27, 2011.

1. VOX

VOX Chillin' With My Peeps

straight to the point on this one. How in the world do i get my ducks poop solid? or is it even possible? My ducks poop is like always how do i say..ummm....runny...lolz....anywho....different food i need to put them on?

2. Dingleberry

Dingleberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    Mine are on flock raiser. 20% protein, its kinda solid. [​IMG] I do give them spinach at bath time it makes it green.

3. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Think about all that water they put away, I think solid scoopable poop is just a dream with ducks.LOL Tell me how to keep enough water out for them without causing my building to flood.

4. DuckLover179

DuckLover179 Waddles & Puddles

Nov 28, 2010
    California
    Quote:According to Nettie's treat list, Spinach is considered a Toxic food for ducks. Try peas instead, it also makes their poop green [​IMG]
    for OP, it's natural for duck poop to be runny, it's nothing to worry about. [​IMG]

5. VOX

VOX Chillin' With My Peeps

mine is on Purina flock raiser( the green bag ) so i guess the same as yours. Well i guess there is no hope [​IMG] ...... o well! i love my duckies [​IMG] .... tho solid ducky poo would be nice..... lol

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  6. Dingleberry

Dingleberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    Quote:According to Nettie's treat list, Spinach is considered a Toxic food for ducks. Try peas instead, it also makes their poop green [​IMG]
    for OP, it's natural for duck poop to be runny, it's nothing to worry about. [​IMG]

good to know
    ty

7. Duck_feeder

Duck_feeder Drowning in feathers!

Oct 22, 2009
    Chicago

Toxic is a bit too strong of a word. Spinach contains high levels of oxalate which binds very easily with calcium. It essentially prevents ducks (as well as humans) from absorbing calcium in their food and can cause kidney stones. Despite the fact that spinach contains a decent amount of calcium, the oxalate is believed to completely offset that. Please note that oxalate is NOT bad for your or your ducks - consistently high levels of oxalate in their diet is.

Spinach once in a while is perfectly okay unless you have ducks that having egg laying issues such as thin shells.

8. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Duck poop is supposed to be "watery" but not "water". If you feed them the correct diet, all will be fine. Make sure that it is game bird starter (with niacin) to start and then game bird grower at age 4 months or so. Treats.... well be careful!

9. Captain Carrot

Captain Carrot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Austria
    mixed grains will firm the poop up a little, and if not sprinkle a little wood ash on top before you scoop. makes the job easier.

1 person likes this.
  10. wildwestwishes

wildwestwishes Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2016
    That is a great tip ;0) thank you!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by