Duck Down The Chimney For A Week, Injured And Need Help On Feed & Meds

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Goat_Walker, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    My muscovy hen has been down my chimney for about a week. And i just figured out today that it was her.

Took us five hours to get her out and now she smells like soot, is very lethargic, cant walk, and has open wounds on the outside of her wings where the bone was repeatedly scraped on the inside of the brick chimney.

So, heres what i need to know -

WHat can i try and feed her to help her regain her strength and spunk ?

What not expensive medicine can i put on her wounds?

2. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    That is incredible - congratulations on finding her and getting her out of the chimney!

My Muscovy ducks thrive on maize ( crushed corn ) - I would try to encourage her to eat some - I still am finding it hard to believe that she was stuck down a chimney for 5 days - a miracle she is still alive - GOOD LUCK!

Suzie
    [​IMG]

3. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Ooops! Sorry... if you have any antibiotic powder use it on her wounds, failing that, warm salt water in a tub for her to bathe in may be of help!

4. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Thank you! Ive got sugar water and some greens & corn in with her right now. Once she has settled down a little im going to put some neosporin on her wounds.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    neosporin is good. Hope the little miracle heals quickly,[​IMG] and put a screen over that chimney opening

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by