Duck down

JacinLarkwell

Addict
Premium Feather Member
Mar 19, 2020
South-Eastern Montana
Just want to say first off, not my duck. My neighbor texted me in class saying her duck was ill. I don't know breed or gender and don't think it's more than a few months old, but I'm pretty sure they're fully feathered now. She's off of work in about 5 hours and I won't be home until about then either, but figured someone might have a slight idea on what's happening

"My duck lying on his back, white poops, dizzy
What can I do?
I am at work today til 5 pm.
Duck bill pale."

Word for word the text.

I know at first they had chicken food, but I think she gave them the right food once she knew they couldn't eat chicken food alone

Since the duck was found on its back and is currently showing signs of ataxia this suggests there is some sort of condition that is directly affecting proper neurological function. What can affect proper neurological function (?) lots of things ranging from toxicosis, either from bacteria (botulism), pesticides, or from ingesting some sort of heavy metal. Other causes may include dehydration, heatstroke, or trauma to the head/neck region.

My first suggestion would be to bring the duck inside and set her in a dimly lit, soft padded area, with a shallow dish of feed and water provided to prevent possible aspiration. A video of the duck would be helpful as well as some more information regarding the setup, and past history of the bird. After the duck is stabilized, we can try to proceed from there.

Back
Top Bottom