duck drunkeness?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Stoney22, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Stoney22

Stoney22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    new hampshire
    Hi today I notice that all the veggies I put out a day or so weren't eaten. I am wondering if perhaps its possible my hen pekin ate some fermented veggies and that's why she's at a loss for coordination? Its been very hot here but they have alot of water so im wondering if she's drunk.

2. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Yes, it can happen. One of my sisters used to live in Paw Paw, Michigan very close to a winery (its a center of wine making in Michigan). In the fall, they would dump the waste product from the fermentation vats on the fields, and she would have all kinds of birds doing strange things, flying into windows, staggering, you name it. They age the dumped "must" (I believe that's the technical term) which still contained a lot of alcohol and got drunk.

3. Stoney22

Jun 7, 2011
    new hampshire
    Ok thank you

4. Eroc1_1

Eroc1_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    Quote:NOW that is funny! Sorry, I find a little humor in that.... And yes it is called 'must' (for wine) and 'wort'(for beer).

5. Senna95

Senna95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Woodland
    Well, I just gave a bunch of "wort" to my hens and ducks for the first time. Guess I'll sit back and be amused!

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Better cover your windows. [​IMG]

7. Stoney22

Jun 7, 2011
    new hampshire
    How long can this last.she is really stumbling and its been three ir more hrs

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I'll check Storey's . . .

Worst case is botulism, which can be picked up especially during hot weather from spoiled food.

From the book:

Often fatal, you can try confining the duck to a clean shady yard or building and immediately providing fresh drinking water with a laxative added - either 1 pint of molasses or 1 pound of Epsom salts per 5 gallonsv water.

Birds that cannot drink on their own should be treated individually. The addition of 1 part potassium to 3,000 parts drinking water or individual doses of 1 teaspoon castor oil have also been recommended as treatments. . . .

flush out the contents of the esophagus with warm water by using a funnel and rubber tube inserted into the mouth and several inches down the esophagus.

every effort must be made to locate the source of botulism

9. Stoney22

Jun 7, 2011
    new hampshire
    Thank you so much

10. Rhondax6

Rhondax6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Cheboygan, Michigan
    Is the duck any better?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by