Duck Duck HELP! Picture added #8

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dbunni, Dec 1, 2010.

1. dbunni

dbunni Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Ohio
    We have a mallard hen that decided to bless us with a late nest. Last night one hatched, and died. We did not discover it until my daughter was cleaning the dirty area. Mama duck has been searching for it ... The bad part ... the rest of her nest got cold. We discovered one egg that has a small hole. Was not responding, but is now. We have brought all in and put them by the fireplace ... that is a story in and of itself! Are keeping warm towels on them.

Suggestions? The little one partially open, should we do anything to encourage him? The others ... how long should she keep vigil? Do you candle a duck egg the same as a chicken egg?

Thanks ...

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  2. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    From what I know about ducks, I only have two pekin that still babies. But...yes they are candled the same way as chickens. It takes 28 days for some to hatch and 34 for others. I would keep him/her warm if she is already hatching on her own. Then put her in a brooder (Box) with a nice warm light. Maybe a 100 watt light bulb pointed at one corner so she could get out of the heat. [​IMG]

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I use a hot water bottle with damp cloths for emergency hatchings. Humidity is really important with duck eggs. I just make sure its not too hot- but I find it gives a more stable heat for at least a few hours at a time than other things I have tried ( before getting an incubator. ) You can encourage the little one by talking to it!!! They do respond too and I love hearing " an egg" talk back.

Best of luck with those little eggs..I hope you mange to save some of them.

4. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Humidity very very important! You can even use a heating pad, cover several times in plastic bags and then moist towels on top of it. Be warned though that duck hatchings are very messy. Great luck i your hatching. Nancy

5. dbunni

Nov 15, 2009
    Ohio
    Did not know about the moisture/humidity. Took care of that real quick this a.m. The babies/eggs are on a dog pad (I use for rabbit boxes, so is great at keeping warmth even). The little one has pushed through some more. He/She is talking and responding. Gonna be bonded to my daughter by the time it cracks out!

How can I check the other eggs? What do I look for (other than an obvious push through).

Thank you ...

6. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Have you candled them yet? It is the same as chickens- but I find I can always see better in a duck egg...I havent hatched many chickens though- an most of them have been dark shells.

If one has broken through the shell the others should be close. With a light shined into the sirsac yo may be able to see the beak moving around in the air sac- or at least detect if there is any movement.

One thing I have found with my ducks is that they will continue to lay for a few days after they start to sit. It makes for a longer hatch sometimes lasting 4 days between first and last- So if the same has happened with your duck... those other eggs may still have a day or two to go before they start to hatch.

7. dbunni

Nov 15, 2009
    Ohio
    Okay ... I think she did add to the nest after starting. If she did ... should there still be movement? I will check for beaks near the sac. This is a definate learning experience since we don't normally hatch inside ... mother nature is awsome! The hen gave up the nest when she lost .. literally it walked away and died ... the other baby. Is this normal for a bird to be so intent on finding the missing child she neglects the other eggs? To me it just says she is an awsome mom!

The little one has pushed half the shell through ... let's hope he/she is ready to roll! One more mallard on the way!

8. dbunni

Nov 15, 2009
    Ohio
    First, Thank you for the help ... We had one survive. Another piped, but did not finish and 3 others looked to be developed. I'm going to assume that since mom abandoned the nest and let them get cold they had a rough start and little chance.

But ... here is the survivor. The kiddo named it ... yep ... wait for it ... Duckie ... after the Dino in the old kids movie "Land Before Time". The picture is of first bath ... in a bed pan! It was so funny watching the kid dive and swim in circles under water! Duckie seems to spend more time out of the heater than in ... but cuddled up with kiddo ... already follows her around the house and yesterday was doing 12th grade English HW! Yep .. they had a paper to write!

[​IMG]

9. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    That's really cute! Sounds like Duckie has it made!

10. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Glad you got a precious baby!
    Nancy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by