Duck eating dog poo?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by fethr37, Jan 11, 2015.

1. fethr37

fethr37 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2014
    western washington
    Probably not a good thing right? Noticed one of my Buffs nibling on a pile in the yard(a pile I missed picking up).. My ducks get a good diet so not sure why they feel the need to eat dog poo[​IMG]. Not something I want to think about while eating fried duck egg either but maybe it's not a big deal :dunno:

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    It may be a matter of what you are feeding your dogs - if it has ingredients that are passing through your dog undigested that would lead the ducks to be attracted to the piles as a source to forage through.

3. fethr37

Dec 3, 2014
    western washington
    Shouldn't be passing through them. My dogs get fed high quality rice and lamb formula.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would not panic, but I would find a way to stop it. I have heard that letting the ducks eat cat feces is risky.

5. collingwood

collingwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Gross!

6. fethr37

Dec 3, 2014
    western washington
    I don't think I'll panic,lol, but it does kinda gross me out thinking about it..You can be sure I'll be scooping every pile I can to lessen the opportunity.

7. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Eww! That was my biggest fear with getting ducks or chickens. Mine ducklings sampled some but I chased them away and scooped it all up. I haven't had that problem again. My pekins never touched it, thank goodness.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by