1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duck egg abandoned by broody. HELP!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by NoseyChickens, Dec 25, 2010.

1. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    I have a runner duck egg that was under a broody. I had two under her developing nicely. Wednesday was day 28. On Thursday one started to hatch but was attacked by another chicken that snuck into the area I had my broody and was killed half way out of the egg. I candled this egg and there is movement, it is clearly still alive, but is now on day 31. I brought it inside and put it in my incubator and cranked up the humidity. I do have chicks that just hached on Thrudsday, so if this egg hatches it will not be alone. But I have never hatched a duck egg before. This was my first attempt. Any advice? I have only been able to get the humidity to 80% temp 99*. I candled and made sure the air sack was up. Is there anything else I should do, other than wait and see?

2. mustangluvrjen

mustangluvrjen Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    South Cakilaki
    80% humidity and 99'F will be fine. The temp can even drop to 97 and will be alright. I just hatched my first clutch of duck eggs(5) w/ bator. I only had to help one because he was huge and piping at narrow end. This was my first hatch ever so I'm still learning to but I'm sure others might step in and give you more pointers. Best of luck [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  3. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Thanks! The egg is wiggling around in the incubator. So with any hope it will hatch out soon. [​IMG]

Cute babies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by