Duck egg bruises - safety hole?

chelseachook

Songster
Mar 9, 2020
QLD, Australia
Hi, I'm on day 27 of hatching Indian runner ducks and yesterday I noticed a faint bruise in the small end of an egg. Today it was darker and there was another right next to it. Should I make a safety hole? I am worried it might pierce a vein as it is not in the air cell. 16350345148895393748247246076694.jpg

Have you checked for internal pip?
It is hard to see... It looks like there is shadowing and there seems to be a bright yellow patch in the air cell. However, since the bruise is in the small end, maybe it is around the wrong way, and its feet are pushing the air cell membrane. I just saw another egg with a bruise in the small end, however that one is cheeping so I'm not too worried about it.

Hi, I'm on day 27 of hatching Indian runner ducks and yesterday I noticed a faint bruise in the small end of an egg. Today it was darker and there was another right next to it. Should I make a safety hole? I am worried it might pierce a vein as it is not in the air cell. View attachment 2876205
I would not put a hole in the egg on day 27.

If they're trying to internally pip and can't, they might end up DIS. You're there and can see it in person, so you know better than I do about what feels right. Have you hatched Runners before? Do you have an alternate calibrated thermometer and hydrometer inside the incubator? Have you already raised the humidity? I don't mean to second guess you by any means, so please know that I don't mean to disrespect you in any way 💜 I LOVE Runners and hope you'll share pictures of them. I will have some one day. What colors are these eggs from? Please accept my apologies. I get excited talking about ducks 💜 I'm outside locking up my little quackers right now, way past bedtime ☺️

Back
Top Bottom