Duck egg candle and breeding help...

Americano Blue

Make everyday count
6 Years
Apr 14, 2014
(Insert Something Sarcastic)
My Coop
My Coop
I got a new male duck and one off my girls is now broody!
barnie.gif
( we didn't want ducklings this soon).
How do i candle duck eggs to see if they are fertile and how long are do ducks sit on eggs and how many eggs will there be and anything else that will help!! I have NEVER breed ducks before and i am kinda stressed..... they are Muscovy ducks....HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! also where do ducks breed? Like in water or land? and is there any thing i can put in their pool to keep them from breeding again?

If you take the eggs away from the duck, they will not hatch. You can still eat fertile duck eggs, no difference from before the drake arrived.

Someone else will have to tell you how long the eggs can sit with the duck before you should no longer eat them.

But having a duck who wants to brood doesn't have to mean ducklings.

If you take the eggs away from the duck, they will not hatch. You can still eat fertile duck eggs, no difference from before the drake arrived.

Someone else will have to tell you how long the eggs can sit with the duck before you should no longer eat them.

But having a duck who wants to brood doesn't have to mean ducklings.

i have a male duck so i assumed the eggs are fertile.

Well, Its kind of like us, the more your female sits on the egg the more warmth and heat it has so it develops into a baby. Now if you pluck the eggs out everyday then you won't be eating any baby ducks. Its just a little speck, now to help prevent breeding cover the pool or pond, ducks do breed in the pond, without a pond or (something to swim in) your ducks will have less of a chance to create a fertile egg. When you decide to have them mate will you let her brood? Or will you buy an incubator? Females have up too 8-15 eggs your female will produce one egg a day after she lays her last egg she will go into broody for 29 days (aprox) to ensure that her young hatch between the same hour,

Well, Its kind of like us, the more your female sits on the egg the more warmth and heat it has so it develops into a baby. Now if you pluck the eggs out everyday then you won't be eating any baby ducks. Its just a little speck, now to help prevent breeding cover the pool or pond, ducks do breed in the pond, without a pond or (something to swim in) your ducks will have less of a chance to create a fertile egg. When you decide to have them mate will you let her brood? Or will you buy an incubator? Females have up too 8-15 eggs your female will produce one egg a day after she lays her last egg she will go into broody for 29 days (aprox) to ensure that her young hatch between the same hour,

i think i will let her sit on the egg. I would feel like i was doing an abortion if i didn't let her sit on them. She has three eggs now. she had 2 yesterday

i have a male duck so i assumed the eggs are fertile.

I'm not saying the eggs aren't fertile. I think that's a safe assumption on your part. I'm saying you can eat the eggs now just as you were before the drake arrived.

Fertile eggs only lead to ducklings if you choose to let that happen. If you don't want ducklings, take the eggs away from her.

I have read that Muscovies really like to brood, so at some point you may have to stop her unless you want to be overrun with ducklings. But maybe someone who raises Muscovies can tell you better. I only have Anconas and Magpies.

Last edited:
I'm not saying the eggs aren't fertile. I think that's a safe assumption on your part. I'm saying you can eat the eggs now just as you were before the drake arrived.

Fertile eggs only lead to ducklings if you choose to let that happen. If you don't want ducklings, take the eggs away from her.

I have read that Muscovies really like to brood, so at some point you may have to stop her unless you want to be overrun with ducklings. But maybe someone who raises Muscovies can tell you better. I only have Anconas and Magpies.

ok thanks

Back
Top Bottom