Duck egg candling help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ChixDreams, Apr 2, 2015.

1. ChixDreams

ChixDreams New Egg

Apr 1, 2015
    Hi everyone!

I put a post in the hatching forum, but this looks like a better spot! I've had Khaki Campbell eggs incubating for a week, and am worried that they're not developing. Can any of you share when you first see veins in duck eggs??

2. ChixDreams

ChixDreams New Egg

Apr 1, 2015
    [​IMG]

3. ChixDreams

ChixDreams New Egg

Apr 1, 2015
    [​IMG]

4. ChixDreams

ChixDreams New Egg

Apr 1, 2015
    [​IMG]

5. ChixDreams

ChixDreams New Egg

Apr 1, 2015
    [​IMG]

There's something- but no veins still.

6. BobDBirdDog

BobDBirdDog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2014
    Tennessee
    Sorry but it looks like a busted yolk and its starting to go bad/rotten in the last photo and the others Clears. I am betting that the egg is not fertilized yet or something went wrong.

Most times you see the development of veins within the 3rd - 5th day if everything is going right. You will always see the veins first as a body/eyes/embryo does not magically appear without seeing the veins days before. The veins will be red but clear as road maps to see and there is no mistaken them. Then you know the egg is viable and developing. After the veins comes the black dot and so on....

Eggs that have not been fertilized are usually called clears, but that has a range of meanings.
    Watch the ducks, Mommy Duck and Daddy Duck may be watching TV and not doing their job. Its not all what it's Quacked up to be!

7. ChixDreams

ChixDreams New Egg

Apr 1, 2015
    I was afraid it was a bad yolk. The eggs were shipped - so anything could have happened!

Time to start again...

8. BobDBirdDog

BobDBirdDog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2014
    Tennessee
    That was my first thought that they were shipped but you never mentioned that so I dint either. Seems many people have problems with shipping eggs. Low success rate due to scrambled eggs.

I used this web site a when I started to help figure things out, its for turkeys but like I said an egg is an egg, Some just develop faster than others.

http://animalscience.ucdavis.edu/Avian/pfs32.htm

It helps a lot to have examples and there was another link with more detailed day by day development but I could not find it again.

If you are sure it was shipping fault and not yours, I would contact the seller and see if they will replace them. They might or they might not.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by