duck egg candling

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by gladyscherrypuff, May 14, 2011.

1. gladyscherrypuff

gladyscherrypuff New Egg

May 14, 2011
    i have 2 eggs in my little incubator that look fertile. they are due to hatch in 10 days time and I can't see movement in them today. They look dark with a big air sack but is this normal for 18 days i could see lots of movement last week. please advise!! i do not have a candler i was looking in strong day light with a tube:/

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    they are probably getting a little big to see with that method. Go by a strong l.e.d. flashlight (maglights are great) Candle in a dark room with all the lights off and see what you can see then.

3. gladyscherrypuff

gladyscherrypuff New Egg

May 14, 2011
    thank you.

4. kthankzbai

kthankzbai Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2011
    I think once they get more developed it's harder to see much. I'm on day 21 and it's hard to see much other than a dark mass. What I do though is sometimes I use the air sac to shine the light in. Then I get just enough light to see a glimpse of it moving. [​IMG] when they're really active, it's easier to see them moving around.

Good luck!

5. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Sounds normal, but I second the dark room idea. It really makes a HUGE difference--it's hard to see anything in a bright room. Move into an inner closet, or wait until nightfall, then candle and you'll be amazed how much more you can see.

Very little movement is normal at this stage, by the way. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by