Duck egg day 23

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Lildsc, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Lildsc

Lildsc In the Brooder

Apr 2, 2018
    I'm on day 23 of my duck egg and I now see an air pocket on both ends of the egg is this normal?

2. rjohns39

rjohns39 Addict

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    Hi and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us :ya
    @WVduckchick what are your thoughts?

3. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    rjohns39, KikisGirls, Teila and 3 others like this.
  4. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hello and welcome to BYC. I hope the duck peeps can help you out :fl

rjohns39, KikisGirls, Teila and 2 others like this.
  5. Lildsc

Lildsc In the Brooder

Apr 2, 2018
    Thank you ! If anyone out there can help I would greatly appreciate it. I know I'm an odd duck up until 2 days ago the only air sacred I could see was at the big end ... now I have one at each end is it possible the baby has moved around ?, and I am incubating this egg myself.....

rjohns39, Teila, Joeschooks and 2 others like this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sorry the Duck folks could give the best information. I don't know much about ducks or hatching.

7. Joeschooks

Joeschooks Just clucking around

Feb 7, 2018
    Hampshire, UK
    My Coop
    X2
    Welcome to BYC! There’s so many helpful, knowledgeable folks over on the duck forum and I’m sure you’ll find this site a very useful resource. Good luck with your hatch.

8. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds!

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Hi! Glad you joined us!

I suspect what you are seeing in the pointed end is just clear fluid, not really an air sac. Until the fill the whole egg, it's normal to have some fluid in the pointed end. But it should fill it up very soon.
    If it doesn't, it may not be an issue, but you could have a very gooey duckling when it hatches. Just make sure its bill, eyes, and nares are not full of the goo. It will harden, but the duckling will remove most of it himself.

:welcome

9. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams

G'Day from down under Lildsc :frowWelcome!

Sorry, I know nothing about ducks except that they are cute and quack but WVduckchick knows her stuff :clap

I just wanted to say that I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out. There are some down the bottom of the page which are duck specific.

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Including your general location on your profile will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

10. Jetblack2004

Jetblack2004 Free Ranging

Feb 22, 2016
    South East England
    My Coop
    :welcome
    It's great to have you here!
    @WVduckchick has given you some great advice :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: