Duck Egg Day 31- I feared the worst...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by knah24, Oct 23, 2011.

1. knah24

knah24 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2011
    I thought the ducklings were dead in the shell... Its day 31. No movement. No sound. I cracked the shell and it was still alive!!! Not anymore because I killed it! HELP??? There was quite a sizeable yolk... I have 15 more.
    I cracked open 3. One was yellow foam (super rotten). The second was kind of a bloody mess. But this 3rd was alive...

I am so sad and worried. I guess I should just wait it out. I can not believe I killed it. Any suggestions??? To the best of knowledge the temperature and humidity are ok. They are Indian Runners.

Thanks... I need some Duck Lover Support!!!

2. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Before cracking them open I usually candle just to make sure.

3. knah24

Oct 23, 2011
    I did candle it. It looked like liquid just rolling back and forth into the air sac. I CANT believe I made this mistake. But everything reads like eggs don't hatch this late!
    AAARrgH

4. knah24

Oct 23, 2011
    Day 32... Late hatch?? My fingers are still crossed. I see beaks in the air sacs. I hope they are strong enough to get out. I couldn't help but candle again today, fearing the worst. But now the humidity might be off???? Aargh. Everything I read states against a late hatch. Assisting seems ill advised as well.... I don't want them to die if I can help.
    Suggestions???

5. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Research how to float test. And so long as the eggs have not externally pipped, you won't hurt the humidity if you candle...but make sure none have externally pipped before you float test!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. curious1969

curious1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Northwest Montana
    If you are seeing beaks when you candle then you still have hope for a hatch. I have found ducks to be strong little beggars....Best of luck [​IMG]

7. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    look for posts from Pete55 they contain lots of help in all sorts of different areas!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    What temperature have you been running the incubator at? If it was low- it can explain why reason why thy may be late hatching. I find my Runners are usually just a touch early- not counting the occasional impatient speedy one I get hatching a full day before any others- mine are averaging about 12 hours under the 28 day mark.

Dont keep beating yourself up over the one that you lost. Had you not opened that egg- you may have just gone ahead and tossed the lot killing all the other which would have been a lot worse. We can all learn from mistakes in life the main thing now is making sure that those left have the best chance.

Having opened the incubator you may have effected the humidity, but dont stress too much over it- its most important when they have actually broken through the shell. The membranes can dry out quickly them without enough humidity. By the time they start to crack the shells- your humidity should be back up to where it should be. Having said that though- you may also need to give some assistance to these guys.

Best wishes to you for success with the eggs left.

9. knah24

Oct 23, 2011
    Thanks everyone. I never knew how much supportive words can help! Day 32 I have 2 eggs with external pips. Tiny little holes with not much progress. I am going to wait a complete 24 hours... after that I may start to get their beaks out into the open.

I really appreciate the support.

10. AngelV

AngelV Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2011
    Pinellas Park Fl
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Hope everything works out!! let us know

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by