duck egg double yolked

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by duckfarmer14, Aug 30, 2010.

1. duckfarmer14

duckfarmer14 Hatching

Aug 30, 2010
    hello i have a mallard duck egg that is double yolked does anyone know when i should help it to hatch:rolleyes:

2. 9 Feathers Farm

9 Feathers Farm In the Brooder

Aug 30, 2010
    St Johns, MI
    A little more info may be helpful. What day are you on, when did you last candle the egg, do you know if both chicks are developing? I have never had a double yolk develop, but know there are people here who have.

3. duckfarmer14

duckfarmer14 Hatching

Aug 30, 2010
    im am on day 21, i candle them everytime i turn my eggs,and i can se two opposite things whenever i candle and ther are healthy

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Most double yolked eggs cannot hatch, I'm sorry to say. It's probably one in a million that can, even with intervention.

Adding: please post a subject in only one area of the forum at a time. Cross-posting is against BYC rules. [​IMG]

5. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Crowing

Apr 19, 2009
    Ducks require longer to hatch than chicken eggs, 28-30 not 21 so even if they do develop you should most certainly wait until the ducklings are full term to intervene. At this point you would be helping deliver premature ducklings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by