Duck egg experiment!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ticks, Mar 28, 2009.

1. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    My hen has been laying for 4 days now, I have been collecting eggs for two, I cracked open the first one and it seemed fertile. Now these are "pullet" eggs, and are storing in my cool basement that is VERY dry, so I put a wet towel underneath the carton the eggs are in. They are pointy end DOWN, I have been turning them every so often, I am waintg about a week then going to pop them in the bator. I want to see if a "pullet" egg will hatch out, If I can actually succesfully incubate, and give my incubator a test run. What do you think?

2. ShadyGlade

ShadyGlade Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds good to me, but I probably qualify as an enabler. [​IMG]

3. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    There is nothing to lose really.

4. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    I've now got three eggs collected, the oldest egg is turning a VERY light shade of grey. is that normal?

5. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey Ticks! I have not seen you on here in a while so ....HI [​IMG]
    Now about the eggs. I have hatched out chicken pullet eggs with no problem. I collected eggs for my bator for oh....a week and they did not turn gray, that I noticed. [​IMG] And I stored them in an egg carton. Every night I would flip the carton for one side to the other. Example right now they are flap side (where it opens) down I will turn them so that the hinge is now down. I never flip them clear over so that they are upside down, just from side to side. [​IMG] Good luck! And good to see ya on here. [​IMG]

edited to fix my spelling. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  6. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Harley's girl :

Hey Ticks! I have not seen you on here in a while so ....HI [​IMG]
    Now about the eggs. I have hatched out chicken pullet eggs with no problem. I collected eggs for my bator for oh....a week and they did not turn gray, that I noticed. [​IMG] And I stored them in an egg carton. Every night I would flip the carton for one side to the other. Example right now they are flap side (where it opens) down I will turn them so that the hinge is now down. I never flip them clear over so that they are upside down, just from side to side. [​IMG] Good luck! And good to see ya on here. [​IMG]

edited to fix my spelling. [​IMG]

Hi Harley, nice to see you too [​IMG]
    I know the eggs are fertile as I have seen much breeding and one egg was fertile that I cracked open. I might as well give it a try. Thanks [​IMG]

7. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    Hey ticks, what kind of ducks are they?

8. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Quote:They are Rouens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by