Duck egg experts!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by keljo722, Jul 13, 2019.

1. keljo722

keljo722 In the Brooder

May 6, 2019
    so recently two (I think) of my four duck started laying eggs. (4 days ago) I’ve been getting 2 eggs a day... but one is bigger than the other. I have 1 pekin 1 mallard 2 runners. I believe they are all female.
    Help me out!
    Same duck or two different ducks?
    One is bigger than the other!

Lol
    Thanks everyone for being so supportive of this new duck momma!

Attached Files:

CLovesDucks and WannaBeHillBilly like this.
  2. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Two different Ducks...

3. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Congrats on the eggs! Looks like two different ducks are laying.

4. WannaBeHillBilly

WannaBeHillBilly Crossing the Road

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    My Coop
    That could also mean that all ducks are laying!
    We have 15 ducks and usually there are between 10 to 16(!) eggs per day, different sizes from normal chicken egg size to gigantic three-yolkers. All i know is that the greenish eggs are from one of the three Runner girls, i don't know from whom exactly. All the other eggs are from the other ducks, Runners, Buff-Orpington, Magpie and White Layers, they all lay white eggs. No clue who is laying big and who is laying small and who is taking a day off. One - or two ducks must have laid two eggs on one day, because we had 16 eggs on two days. I think they do that on purpose to confuse us…

5. keljo722

keljo722 In the Brooder

May 6, 2019
    Thank you

casportpony and chickens really like this.
  6. keljo722

keljo722 In the Brooder

May 6, 2019
    Thank you. Nervous to try them but I hear so many good things!

casportpony likes this.
  7. keljo722

keljo722 In the Brooder

May 6, 2019

Oh my gosh! 10-16! That’s amazing! Do you sale them?
    I’m excited to see the blue and green ones. I have a 3 year old who just love to help me. Blue is her fav color so I’m excited to see her face.. when she notices!

casportpony and WannaBeHillBilly like this.
  8. WannaBeHillBilly

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    My Coop
    We are trying to sell some of the eggs, but here in West Virginia everybody seems to have their own backyard-chickens and the prices for eggs are too low to even break-even on farmers markets. Last weekend we paid $14 for the table at the farmers market and sold eggs for $12…
    Potential customer: "Eeew! Duck eggs? Are you sure they are safe for human consumption?"
    Me: "M'am 120 years ago people ate duck eggs only, chicken eggs were rare. The only reason why we all grew up eating chicken eggs is that some clever guy found out that you can cram chickens into wire cages by the dozens, feed them in the front, collect the manure below and gather the eggs at the back. A duck would rather die than live like that."
    What people don't know people won't try…

katiebrock and casportpony like this.
  9. WannaBeHillBilly

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    My Coop
    Blue eggs are (afaik!) being laid only by Swedish and Rouen ducks. Cayugas sometimes lay dark gray to black eggs. The almost lost breed of the Dutch Hookbill was laying blue eggs.

casportpony likes this.
  10. Magnolia Ducks

Magnolia Ducks Crowing

Jan 24, 2018
    Magnolia, TX
    I had a buff duck that laid blue eggs. Every time. The plumber ran over her and killed her. I didn't realize how rare that was till after she was dead.

casportpony likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: