Duck Egg External Pip Question (Pipped around 12 hours ago no progress)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by maccay2k, Aug 29, 2013.

1. maccay2k

maccay2k Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2013
    Hi, i am totally new to this and the forum, I have 5 duck eggs (Campbell) now on day 28 (due date) 2 have pipped externally and I can hear some 'chatting' going on in the mornings, eggs are still rocking etc.
    The shot I posted is of the first one to make a dent in the shell - this was nearly 12 hours ago now, and no progress, still rocking about but still no major attempt to break through, should I be worried??? cause I kinda am! [​IMG]

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG]

Ducklings can and does take their sweet time when hatching, so don't worry. Yet. LOL I've had one take 4 days to hatch from external pip once. I give them (as a rough guide) 24 hours from internal to external pip, 24 hours from external pip to zipping and another 8 hours to zip and complete the hatch. So you are still in a good time frame [​IMG] Good luck with the hatch and keep us posted!

3. maccay2k

Aug 29, 2013
    Awesome, thanks for the reassurance! Will keep you updated :)

4. maccay2k

Aug 29, 2013
    Patience was key in this one, Sweep finally hatched the following day at around 5pm! and has bags of personality ;) I successfully hatched 3 others and 1 never externally pipped 2 are still incubating and drying off and will be added to the brooder tonight :)

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I was wondering what happened to you and the ducklings. That thing is adorable! [​IMG] Congratulations and enjoy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by