Duck egg found in park

Duckinpark

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 24, 2012
Hello. My 9 yr old daughter found what we think was a duck egg in the park in the grass on September 30. Whether or not she should, she brought the egg home. We made a makeshift incubator and did research on how to care for the egg. About a week ago, we noticed that the egg started leaking yolk slowly and it was a gel-like substance mostly. It's continued to leak slowly each day but haven't really seen any sign of cracking (I'm sure that's not the correct term) or any sign of hatching.

Can anyone tell me if they think this egg is still possibly viable? We are complete amateurs and have no idea what we're doing. We're almost at 30 days and think it's probably not looking good but are looking for some guidance. Thank you!

Thank you both for your responses. I was fairly certain this was the case, but wanted to be absolutely sure before we did anything with it.

Do you happen to know if this means for certain that the egg was never fertilized, or could it mean that it may have been alive at some point but then died along the way? My daughter is very curious. THANKS!

could have been anything from being an early quiter (started to grow and then stopped for who knows what reason) was never good and discarded by the duck who laid it, was contaminated with bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom