duck egg hatching problems

jbugw

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 8, 2014
Michigan
This is the first year we have tried to incubate anything. We've got the right temperature and humidity- using independent gauges not the ones on the incubator. Have been turning them like we're suppose to. We put a round of 12 duck eggs in last month and they all suffered early death. Around 2 weeks in. We cleaned it out and tried again. Only 6 eggs this time. We had 1 not fertile, 1 blood ring and 1 quit at about 2 weeks in again. The remaining 3 all had movement and good growth 2 days ago. They are suppose to go on lock down today but when I checked them again it looks like they have died. There is no movement and instead of looking like a blob they look like larger version of the 2 week losses we had. What the heck is going on? Also 2 of them appear to have something dripping inside. Not coming out but when I candled them there appeared to be something dripping like a lava lamp. The other very obviously has a ruptured air sac. These eggs came from out ducks and were not shipped. What are we doing wrong? We currently have a dozen chicken eggs in a separate incubator. All have movement as of right now but they are due to go on lock down in a couple of days and I am worried we are doing something really wrong and we'll lose them too.

This is the first year we have tried to incubate anything. We've got the right temperature and humidity- using independent gauges not the ones on the incubator. Have been turning them like we're suppose to. We put a round of 12 duck eggs in last month and they all suffered early death. Around 2 weeks in. We cleaned it out and tried again. Only 6 eggs this time. We had 1 not fertile, 1 blood ring and 1 quit at about 2 weeks in again. The remaining 3 all had movement and good growth 2 days ago. They are suppose to go on lock down today but when I checked them again it looks like they have died. There is no movement and instead of looking like a blob they look like larger version of the 2 week losses we had. What the heck is going on? Also 2 of them appear to have something dripping inside. Not coming out but when I candled them there appeared to be something dripping like a lava lamp. The other very obviously has a ruptured air sac. These eggs came from out ducks and were not shipped. What are we doing wrong? We currently have a dozen chicken eggs in a separate incubator. All have movement as of right now but they are due to go on lock down in a couple of days and I am worried we are doing something really wrong and we'll lose them too.
I have no experience with duck eggs, but if you need help with the chicken eggs and tips let me know and I'll answer any questions I can and share my methods with you. Keep us posted how they do. Wish I could be of help where the duck eggs are concerned.

What's your humidity on the duck eggs the first 18 days? Whats your breeding flock eating?

If your temp is correct in the 'bator, I'd suspect maybe a humidity issue or some kind of nutritional deficiency in your breeders. How long have they been laying?

I must admit that I've never incubated duck eggs, but I've read quite a few posts from folks here that have. There doesn't seem to be any set certain way to do it. Some seem to keep them real wet, others dry hatch. Are you weighing the eggs to make sure they're loosing the proper amount of moisture?

Anyway, a good poultry friend of mine hatches a lot of ducks. She dry hatches them, but mists them with a spray bottle everyday and jacks the humidity up to around 75% at lockdown. She gets really good hatches on hers.

Best of luck with you.

Humidity is 45-55% for the first half. We haven't made it to lock down where we're suppose to up the humidity. The incubator has a well for water but I am thinking if we try it again this year we'll use a spray bottle. They have been laying for about 9 months. They eat a commercial duck food with corn, peas and meal worms as occasional treats. They also free range so a large portion of their diet comes from foraging. I have not weighed them, didn't know that I should. I was wondering if the possibility of them being mixed (campbells and Indian runners) might play a role. Although they aren't all mixed some are same breed. My Indian runner is sitting on 20 eggs right now- hers and the female campbells eggs. Hopefully some of those make it.

Well my chicks are hatching in the other incubator. Think I need to get a new humidity gauge for the other incubator. We may try again this year with the ducks but I don't know. My girls are sitting on 24 eggs right now. I wasn't really expecting them to go broody. If half of them hatch that is more than enough for our purposes.

Back
Top Bottom