duck egg hatching question

blayt90

Crowing
Jan 11, 2018
Magee, Mississippi
My Coop
My Coop
I am thinking about getting a incubator and trying to hatch the eggs that my females lay since they are not sitting on them. My question is can I put the eggs in the incubator and leave it open at room temp in my house with the turner going and the eggs survive for about a week? Then start incubating them all at the same time. Or what would be the best process to follow? I have two males and two females but I plan on getting more females as soon as I expand my run and duck house.

Read this:
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/166/care-and-incubation-of-hatching-eggs/
"Egg Care and Storage
Many times a producer carefully attends to the incubation process but disregards the care of the eggs before they are placed in the incubator. Even before incubation starts the embryo is developing and needs proper care. Hatching eggs suffer from reduced hatchability if the eggs are not cared for properly. Listed below are tips to help maintain hatching egg quality.

• Collect eggs at least three times daily. When daily high temperatures exceed 85 degrees F. increase egg collection to five times daily. Collect two or three times in the morning and one or two times in the afternoon.

• Slightly soiled eggs can be used for hatching purposes without causing hatching problems, but dirty eggs should not be saved. Do not wash dirty eggs.

• Store eggs in a cool-humid storage area. Ideal storage conditions include a 55 degree F. temperature and 75% relative humidity. Store the eggs with the small end pointed downward.

• Alter egg position periodically if not incubating within 4-6 days. Turn the eggs to a new position once daily until placing in the incubator.

• Hatchability holds reasonably well up to seven days, but declines rapidly afterward. Therefore, do not store eggs more than 7 days before incubating. After 3 weeks of storage, hatchability drops to almost zero. Plan ahead and have a regular hatching schedule to avoid storage problems and reduced hatches.

• Allow cool eggs to warm slowly to room temperature before placing in the incubator. Abrupt warming from 55 degrees to 100 degrees causes moisture condensation on the egg shell that leads to disease and reduced hatches."

Last edited:
No...You store them in a cool room In an egg carton and tilt on side up and the other down daily..The day before incubation you set up incubator and run it to make sure it's set right..Then lay eggs on their side to get room temp and them put into incubator on their side...No egg turner..You turn 3 times a day...

No...You store them in a cool room In an egg carton and tilt on side up and the other down daily..The day before incubation you set up incubator and run it to make sure it's set right..Then lay eggs on their side to get room temp and them put into incubator on their side...No egg turner..You turn 3 times a day...
I am not home to turn them three times a day I leave my house by 6:30am and don’t return till 7 pm.

Back
Top Bottom