Duck egg hatching under hen help please!

Caelag

Hatching
May 14, 2021
Hi, I am looking for some advice please. My very skitty hen has been sitting on some aylesbury duck eggs. We are at day 28 and only one has made it this far (damn terrier...but thats another story) the duckling has made little hole in the side of the narrow end of the egg, about 24 hrs ago. I can see its very lovely little beak and hear it pipping away inside. How long should I leave it....will it be OK to make its own way out from this end?

Last edited:
Hi, I am looking for some advice please. My very skitty hen has been sitting on some aylesbury duck eggs. We are at day 28 and only one has made it this far (damn terrier...but thats another story) the duckling has made little hole in the side of the narrow end of the egg, about 24 hrs ago. I can see its very lovely little beak and hear it pipping away inside. How long should I leave it....will it be OK to make its own way out from this end?
Can you post a pic? A pip in the narrow and means the duckling missed the air cell, so this is also his internal pip. So you'll need to give him 48+ hours before doing anything.
Yup! I've never had a chick pip the pointy end and not hatch. He should do just fine.

Can you post a pic? A pip in the narrow and means the duckling missed the air cell, so this is also his internal pip. So you'll need to give him 48+ hours before doing anything.
Yup! I've never had a chick pip the pointy end and not hatch. He should do just fine.
Thanks for replying so soon, we haven't hatched any before so its all a bit of an unknown for us. I'll get a pic when I tip the hen out for her nightly ablutions, I can hear the duckling from outside the coop it is so loud. 48hrs will be tomorrow sometime then.

Attachments

• 20210515_071728.jpg
    20210515_071728.jpg
    393.1 KB · Views: 3
Thank you for giving me confidence to wait out, now to see what the hen makes of ot all.....she looked pretty shocked as its her first hatchling too!

Back
Top Bottom