Duck Egg help, Again * PICS Added!*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by laughingllama75, Nov 6, 2008.

1. laughingllama75

laughingllama75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    Ok, thanks to those of you who helped me before, looks like after setting 38 eggs......36 may very well hatch. [​IMG]
    they were all developing nicely, now the eggs are solid looking when I candle them (due to hatch monday, 28 days). here is my question: WHY ARE THEY PEEPING NOW????!!!!!!
    also, can I do the egg carton hatch with ducks? I had a great hatch doing it this way with chicks, are ducks the same?
    I have a still air bator, with auto turner. the water weasel was 101.5-101.9 the whole time.....does that mean early hatch?
    By the way, these are indian runners. dont know if that makes a difference.
    thanks to everyone who answers me, I appreciate it! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  2. runamuck

runamuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern michigan
    If there peeping there hatching early if your temps off a bit ( on the high side ) they can and will hatch early. Indian runners are silly fun birds a bit on the flighty side but nice anyway
    Have fun
    Allie

3. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    I just hatched 18 ducks and they were 2 days early. They have me puzzled as to why. Especially since I expected them to be late. The power went out and it took me 8 hours to get them back to the right temperature for some reason. I only lost 2 eggs thank goodness. I'm not sure about using the cartons for hatching duck eggs. I've never even used it for my chicken eggs. I do know that when my ducks were hatched they were thrashing around on the other eggs so bad I couldn't let them stay in the bator to dry out so I just put them in their brooder.

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I would say they are hatching early as well. Have they pipped the shell yet, or just the membrane? They can take a few days from the time they first pip the membrane to when they actually hatch.

As far as the carton method, I don't see why you couldn't hatch the ducks the same way. My ducks haven't laid any yet, so I will have to wait till next spring to try out ducks on my own!

5. tfpets

tfpets Mmm, tastes like chicken

Same old argument for or against the carton method, those that like it and those that dont. The only ducks that I've ever hatched were hatched in cartons, all four of them. They were call ducks, so they were supposed to be early!
    Good luck on your decision!
    Tina

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  6. Riocotesei

Riocotesei Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2008
    N.Texas
    I like the carton method. I started using it myself. I think it's a easier for them to hatch because they don't roll around. It's also easier to observe them.

ETA: my opinion is based on chickens so that possibly incorrect

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  7. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    If your thermometer was accurate you were incubating a full degree high, so you will likely see early hatchers, it is normal for ducks to internally pip at 25 days so they are 1 day ahead of schedule. Ducks usually pip and zip a little different than chicks and usually have a smaller hole to squeeze out of, I dont think I would use the egg cartons with them, seems like it would be a little rough on them.

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Most people on here say to keep a still air bator at 101.5 I disagree with that as well. I kept mine between 99 and 101, and my chicks always hatched early.

9. laughingllama75

laughingllama75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    Ok, here are the first 5.....I had 8 hatch yesterday afternoon (on day 26). all are fine.....swimming in thier water, as a matter of fact. Little brats. [​IMG] I have one that is hatching right now, and 13 more that have pipped. I guess I had the heat too high, but there were no deformities or abnormalities on the hatchlings so far. here's hoping it stays that way.[​IMG] Oh, I set the eggs a day and a half apart, so this staggerd hatch is OK.

[​IMG]

10. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Awww.... they are adorable! Awesome hatch! You said Indian runners right? I so BADLY wanted runner ducks, you have no idea. I had to settle for 3 pekin eggs instead. It looks like you have black, white and fawn in there?!

How excited! Post more pictures when you can. I'm on a baby duck kick right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by