Duck Egg Math

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LuckyDuck411, Jan 29, 2011.

1. LuckyDuck411

LuckyDuck411 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Indianapolis
    This morning I went to collect eggs around 7:30am... and "walked -in" on one of the girls laying her eggs. Which is weird because normally they have been laying before 5 am. Well I found one egg not in the duck house so I took it in. When I came back out she was done laying so I opened up the duck house and there were 2!!! eggs....imagine my surprise because we only have 2 girls! So I brought them in and told my husband and he goes "Boris is laying now too!?" Boris is our drake...he is clearly a drake. Drake feather, low, raspy quack, and even the other male anatomy parts. It was funny to me that he thought he was laying too!...

Anyway has anyone else had this happen? We didn't get eggs at all yesterday so it is possible she kept it inside until today?

2. Is there a lot of bedding the eggs could have been hidden in from previous days?
    Sometimes early in the season a duck doesn't have here system quite regulated yet and they can more than one egg for a little while.
    On the other hand there does seem to be a few super laying strains of Pekins that routinely lay two eggs a day. I think last year someone thought theirs was laying three!! I would love to know if those ducks lay like that the whole season and if they take a really long time off during the winter.

3. karbear

karbear Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2011
    Auburn, Wa
    I have Pekin female that lays like crazy! She sometimes lays two eggs a day. And they are huge eggs. YUM.

4. LuckyDuck411

LuckyDuck411 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Indianapolis
    They do have places they could hide them...in the wood shavings...but I usually move everything around in their little house. They also lay under the house and this morning I found 3 again under the house. It's alot easier under there to hid them from us b/c they dug a hole and filled it with the would shavings from inside! Creative little creatures. I'm thinking the 3 I found this morning might have been one from 2 days previous when we didn't have any.

I would love it though if we had a super layer!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by