Duck egg pipped, not due until Friday!! What to do??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mrs. Fluffy Puffy, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Okay, today is lockdown for my 12 Magpie eggs. I went to check on them and one was already pipped! I haven't even gotten them switched over to the hatcher yet!! I will be putting them into lockdown in my 1588 Genesis Hova-Bator, do I just fill both of the trays up with water? I remember last time I hatched out ducks that I put 4 jars of water in there to help with the humidity. I do not have anything to measure humidity with so I do not know what it's at. Can anyone give me any advice?? Thanks sooooo much!!

~ Aspen

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Without being ale to read humidity you are flying blind. Do the best you can to raise the humidity and put them in lockdown. I would suggest visiting home depot for hydrometer though, calibrating it, and then using it to know what the humidity really is.

3. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    We live two hours from any town. We are out in the boonies.

~ Aspen

4. GoingQuackers

GoingQuackers Out Of The Brooder

You definitely need something to check the humidity with. I used a cheap one from a local hardware/farm store during my March hatch & it worked great. Also remember that a container of water with more surface area will keep your humidity up better than a jar of water. Jars don't tend to have much surface area at the opening. Think Rubbermaid container lids or something like that. My last hatch pipped early too. I sorta freaked because I wasn't ready, but it went well. I have 9 little mallards running around that are now 5 weeks old!

Good luck with your hatch...may your nerves not get too frazzled!

5. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Humm, just the only problem I see with that is they will jump into the water, being ducks. : / Maybe if I cover them wire wire of something? Could I put sponges or something in a bowl of water to get the humidity up?

~ Aspen

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  6. wyoangel

wyoangel Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2012
    Nebraska
    SPONGE! It's what I have to do with my hermit crabs so they don't drown! Just make sure it is a fresh one....not one from your sink! :)

7. GoingQuackers

Definitely cover with wire. My 'bator has an area with a tiny built-in reservoir that is covered by wire mesh. Instead of using the reservoir, I used the Rubbermaid lid and since it was under the wire mesh, the babies couldn't get into it post-hatch. Sometimes ducklings are quite rambunctious post-hatch when they're still dragging around half of their shell stuck to their butts!

8. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    The bottom of my incubator is covered with wire, but I didn't think the two troughs of water in the plastic container in the bottom would be enough, since ducks are supposed to have a higher humidity.

~ Aspen

9. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Will a casserole pan work, or is that too big??

~ Aspen

10. GoingQuackers

I am pretty dumb about incubator models, so I looked yours up online. The pics I saw had a humidity readout on the little display thingy...does yours have that? If the casserole dish fits safely under the mesh, I say why not. I had to work very hard to stabilize the humidity in my glorified styrofoam cooler and still had shrink-wrap issues close to the end of the hatch. I've also read that you'll know the humidity is good when the window gets "sweaty."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by