Duck egg question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by teacher_hawk, May 4, 2009.

1. teacher_hawk

teacher_hawk Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2009
    Hello,
    I have ducks schedule to hatch in my classroom on Wednesday! I think we are going to get a lot of ducks, which is exciting. I was just curious what you suggest to put in the bottom on their brooder.

Thanks!

2. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

paper towels or newspaper for the first few days... ducks are MESSY so you will need to change them frequently to keep the stink down and keep them clean and healthy.

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I actually just put ducklings right on the shavings, no matter how old they are, they'll still eat it! Newspaper is bad for any newly hatched baby, it doesn't give them very good traction and could lead to spraddle leg. You can, however, put paper towels on top of the shavings, but they will still try to eat them once you take the towel away. I actually use pine pelleted bedding for mine, it absorbs the water much better and they don't seem quite as interested in it.

4. jj ranch

jj ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    i to just put in with shavings (pine) and yes once they find the water WATCH OUT!!! [​IMG] they make a swamp. i put the water feeder inside a plate with edges or small cake pan to help save liter.

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:I've tried that and it doesn't work for me! If they can't get the water on the bedding, then they get the bedding on the water! I use a butter bowl with lid as their waterer. I cut one or two holes in the lid, just big enough for them to get their heads in it, but not so big that they can splash. Then I go out in the driveway and find the biggest rock I can!! Wash the rock real good and drop it into the waterer to keep the little boogers from turning their water over. This works very well for me! [​IMG]

But seriously folks, get the pelleted bedding. It is a bit more expensive (in my area anyway) but it is oh so worth it! It doesn't get that sour smell when it gets wet like the shavings do. Plus it is a lot more absorbent than the shavings are. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by