duck egg question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by carmeninthecountry, Apr 4, 2011.

1. carmeninthecountry

carmeninthecountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    I have some wonderful ducks and one of my ladies is laying a green/teal egg.... They are not call duck eggs but what would they be...

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    What other breeds do you have??? Without knowing it would be difficult to say who may be laying the coloured eggs.

3. carmeninthecountry

Mar 9, 2011
    Quote:a peking, a white runner, a fawn runner, a buff runner, and another one not quite sure what she is... but those are all my ladies

4. missy5

missy5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Sorry to jump in but i just got new calls. Do calls only lay the green/teal eggs? Thats what i'm getting from my calls i've had since fall, but the ones i just bought are bigger birds and the eggs are bigger and more of a pinky cream colour? Can you help?

5. carmeninthecountry

Mar 9, 2011
    Quote:Probably just a different kind of call... the eggs I get are teal green...

6. AdamD77

AdamD77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Bedfordshire, England
    I think there is variation within breeds. I have 4 runner females and we assumed Phoebe, the darker one, would lay darker eggs, however we get 2 green eggs and 2 white eggs, so one of the other lighter girls is also laying green eggs. I'm not a call expert, but can they not lay green eggs too? It could be one of your runners, though not sure which one it would be...

7. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I also get some green/ blue tinted eggs as well as white ones from my Runners. I think its safe to say its not the Pekin or White Runner laying the coloured eggs - at least that has narrowed it down a bit for you. I havent ever had a fawn and white yet... Thought I had a nice buff hatch last year- but she has turned out apricot and is too young to lay yet anyway. Try putting some lip stick on the vents of the ducks- a different colour each duck- some of the colour will transfer onto the egg- and you will have your answer.

8. missy5

missy5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    I would never have thought of lipstick on the vent. Good idea, if i can catch them without stressing them to much. They are very shy still and run as soon as they see me. I sit in thier run for 30 min. in the cold and tell them i'm a stuborn duck mama and i finally get them close enough to feed them treats and then they run away again. The grandkids are coming today hope they don't see lipstick on the duck but cause they already call me crazy bird lady. lol but it's in a loving way. Thanks for your help. Don't know what i would do without all of you on here.

9. carmeninthecountry

Mar 9, 2011
    I was just very curious... I love my ducks dearly and hope that all these eggs are fertile...

10. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

I can tell you from our Fawn and White runners and our 1 cayuga all are laying white eggs, no colored eggs here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by