Duck egg question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by JulieNKC, Sep 29, 2011.

1. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Ok, so I just went out to collect my eggs. I looked in the nest box and at first I thought my EE who started laying green eggs last week had a blip in her egg painting system. Then I picked up the egg. It felt funny. [​IMG] Duck egg finally!
    My question is, I just got a drake last week. I haven't seen them doing the deed yet, but they have plenty of time to themselves so they could be. Once he does, how long until the eggs are fertile? How can I tell? Is there a bullseye like chicken eggs?
    Thanks!!!
    Duck egg is top left. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Congrats! Yes, there will be a bullseye. Hope you can hatch some good luck! Oh and she should be laying for atleased 2 weeks, otherwise the eggs are to small. But yours looks really big!

3. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Quote:Thank you! Guess I'll be making a cake tonight. If I find a bullseye, I have a little broody silkie mix (the one in my avatar) who I'll be putting a few future duck eggs under. She's been trying to hatch something all summer, but my roo's are still babies so I haven't had anything for her to hatch. Of course, I fully expect her to give up 2 days after I put the eggs under her. Maybe I can find someone with an incubator I can borrow for a month, just in case. [​IMG]
    And looks like I'll be spying on my ducks tomorrow morning to see if I can figure out if it's the ancona or KC that laid that one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by